Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Experimental Theater Exercises

Posted 05-13-2019 09:25
    I am teaching a short section of experimental theater at the end of our semester in Drama class. I am reaching out to see if you all have favorite exercises in this genre that focus on distillation, deconstruction, abstraction, etc. of a theme. I am currently exploring architecture of space and having students find interesting ways to create mini events or "happenings" in site specific areas around campus.

Thanks in advance, All!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 2.  RE: Experimental Theater Exercises

Posted 05-14-2019 15:11
    I am a big fan of chair duets based on the work of Frantic Assembly. Sometimes even having my students write text to go along with their score once they create it. I also use A / B viewpoints (Overlie but explained as an exercise in Bogart's book) blocking scores mixed with contentless scenes for more experimental spins (chance and arbitrary choices based on impulse vs. what the text is leading them to) on staging and blocking. Then I am a huge fan of Tectonic's moment work for more devising-type exercises and projects, but I would refer to them directly as a source for that type of work. Hope this helps!

Colleen Mylott
    Lafayette CO

• 3.  RE: Experimental Theater Exercises

Posted 05-15-2019 19:41
    One thing I have done in the past is used text from the poem-play Savage/Love by Sam Shepard.  I would then make them act out the poems physically and without words.  Also, they would need to find an instrumental piece to add to it.

William Skar
    Theatre Teacher
    Chaska MN