Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How to make a step ladder into a tree?

Posted 04-16-2019 13:25
    Hello!  I am directing a production of "Mill Girls" for our state festival.  In the opening scene, one of the characters climbs a tree to escape a conversation.  The script suggests just using a step ladder.  I would like to add something to it to be clear that it is a tree.

Logistics that I have to keep in mind ----
    1. We have to transport our set with a truck, so the piece would need to fold or un-assemble.
    2. We have 5 minutes to set up our set, so it would have to re-assemble quickly and easily.
    3. The set is just set pieces, no walls - so the suggestion of a tree is all that is necessary.

I have some thoughts, but none I am in love with, so I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions.  Thanks!

• 2.  RE: How to make a step ladder into a tree?

Posted 04-17-2019 08:00
    I understand your desire to make sure people know it's a tree but I can say that we did Romeo and Juliet in the fall for our festival show and I used a ladder for the balcony with some boxes as the only other set pieces and the judges got it and loved it.  The audience at our school shows got it and no one was upset we didn't have an actual balcony.  Physicality is the key.  Don't be afraid to ask your actor to make it look like she is climbing a tree.

------------------------------
    Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 3.  RE: How to make a step ladder into a tree?

Posted 04-17-2019 08:40
    First thought I had was to have your actor climb the ladder as if climbing a tree, and then "hide" by freezing in a treelike pose upon it.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: How to make a step ladder into a tree?

Posted 04-17-2019 09:56
    On the more realistic,( but not really) side.... chicken wire curved around the front, paper mache'd or brown gaff tapefor bark.  I've disassembled many fake Ficus trees for branches in my day.  Even just gaff taping branches onto your ladder would give the idea.  ​

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 5.  RE: How to make a step ladder into a tree?

Posted 04-17-2019 15:45
    A profile cut out tree can easily be fabricated out of luan or underlayment attached to the step latter with a loose pin back flap hinge... just reinforce the back of the tree with a piece of 1x3 and a piece on the underside or top of the step ladder to hold the other side of the back flap hinge.  In some festivals, they will allow you to "ready" items off stage before the shift.  In which case, you could easily open the step ladder and attach the profile set piece and off you go.  I would suggest a smaller step ladder, like 4 feet tall or so, max

It is also possible to create a small profile drop using muslin and chicken wire, bird netting or hardware cloth as reinforcement to let the muslin hold its shape-- this might be lighter, depending on the tree and the amount of air in the branches.

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC