Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play Reading Club Suggestions

Posted 03-17-2020 09:37
    Hello fellow newly designated online theatre teachers!

While my theatre classes are virtual, my students and I want to form a play club (like a book club) through which we read a play once a week and then use video conferencing to discuss it as a group. We're trying to stay connected in lieu of rehearsals. My one hindrance is that I work for a socially conservative school which means we can't read plays that are too edgy. Our curriculum allows for The CrucibleDeath of a Salesman, and The Glass Menagerie if that gives you a starting point for the limits of our "edge." Suggestions for plays we could consider?

------------------------------
    Maralie Medlin
    Director of Fine Arts
    Gaston Christian School
    Gastonia, NC

• 2.  RE: Play Reading Club Suggestions

Posted 03-18-2020 08:07
    I see you already have a couple by Arthur Miller but I would also suggest All My Sons. Raisin in the Sun would also be good. They are great videos available online.

Shawn Sears
    Miami FL

• 3.  RE: Play Reading Club Suggestions

Posted 03-18-2020 10:16
    You could try You Can't Take It With You, Picnic or possibly some Neil Simon, although if your school is very conservative, there might be some language in Neil Simon.

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 4.  RE: Play Reading Club Suggestions

Posted 03-18-2020 10:58
    What about 12 Angry Men/Women/Jurors?

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 5.  RE: Play Reading Club Suggestions

Posted 03-18-2020 18:21
    For classics, I think Death of a Salesman, A Raisin in the Sun, and Our Town make good reads. I also like The Heidi Chronicles (too edgy?), Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (will cause a LOT of debate), and Fools. (I cried reading The Rainmaker in high school, but that might say more about me in high school than the greatness of the play!)

As much as I love Shakespeare, I probably would not assign it under these circumstances. It is just too difficult for a lot of students to read on their own. Ditto for other things with really elevated language or concepts. 

Jennifer Bennett

Drama Director

Markham Woods Middle School

6003 Markham Woods Road

Lake Mary, FL 32810

(407) 871-1750

www.speakouthotline.org

[Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Virtually all written communications to or from School District Personnel are public records available to the public and media upon request. E-mail sent or received on the School District system will be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to State Law.]