Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-07-2018 15:18
    I have amassed a ton of scripts and would like to catalog them so students can search by genre, cast size, and other parameters. I know I could start a spreadsheet, but that doesn't seem like the best way to keep track of our scripts. Does anyone have a program they use for this? Or, if you use a spreadsheet, what parameters do you put into it?

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 2.  RE: Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-07-2018 16:18
    I haven't done it myself, but I have friends who have successfully used Google Fusion Tables to catalog small libraries. You can import a spreadsheet which will then be searchable. 
     This is an old, but still relevant (I think) tutorial: Creating an online library catalog with Google Drive 
    And here is a Google tutorial for the App:About Fusion Tables - Fusion Tables Help
     Hope this is helpful!

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-08-2018 08:42
    Approximately one million years ago (okay, seven), I was a librarian at a school with 4000 books and NO catalog when I arrived. I tried to find a free or affordable library program that would work, even talking to several librarians, and the answer was...it doesn't exist. I ended up making an excel spreadsheet, one book at a time. Honestly, it wasn't a horrible process, except the risk of repeating entries--something I imagine would be less troublesome if no one is checking out books!

Now, it's been seven years and there might be something out there now, but an Excel sheet really isn't a terrible way to do it.

Sarah Mattie
    Theatre Teacher
    Olathe KS

• 4.  RE: Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-08-2018 10:10
    I haven't used it for this specific purpose, but I have a library cataloging app that I use for my home library called Book Buddy that I enjoy. I know there are other apps out there that work similarly.

There are definitely things that would be helpful features for a classroom library that it does not have, so it would not be a perfect solution, but it may be worth exploring. You can try it for free. The free version stores up to 50 books. If you like it you can pay for the full version which was somewhere around $5.00, I think. 

The app allows you to categorize books by genre, and you can create your own tags so that might be a way to sort by cast size, etc. It also has pictures of the book covers which can be helpful. Another cool feature is that it will store books that you have loaned out to people (and keep track of who you lent them to). The app has a scan feature but the problem is that scripts (especially older ones) often don't come up on the search so then I have to enter them manually, which can be pretty tedious. 

I think the one thing that you would like it to do that it can't is have it available to be searched by all your students. It is searchable, but only within the app. I suppose if you have a class ipad or something, that would be ok, but otherwise the kids would have to use your phone, which is not ideal at all. So, like I said, not a perfect solution, but something that may be worth exploring. There may be other apps out there that are similar and maybe even closer to what you are looking for.

Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Fort Stockton, TX

• 5.  RE: Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-08-2018 11:12
    The things I like about Excel (been using it since forever) are the ease of use and flexibility. You can search, filter, do custom printed reports, protect the file or parts of it (important if other people are using it), find duplicates, and, best of all, import the file to a different program later if you want to. You can also write macros (mini-programs using the built-in language) to automate tasks, and create forms for data entry.

The possible drawback I could see is putting the file somewhere that students can use it, but that may not be an issue for you.

Years ago I used Excel as part of a project to log a huge prop collection, which ultimately resulted in an on-line searchable inventory, complete with photos. You can read about the project on my blog, at https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/organizing-your-prop-collection/

You were asking about what fields to enter. Here's my first-pass take on that:
    Name of play
    Author
    Publisher ("I know it was a comedy by Sam French, but I can't think of the title")
    Genre
    Cast size (You can do this as a single number, as M/W, or some other way)
    Number of locations (How many "sets")
    Notes (Anything else that comes to mind)

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 6.  RE: Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-08-2018 17:56
    I'd add in color of the script as well. There have definitely been times that I had kids looking for a specific script and I could say "it's a green one".

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-08-2018 14:23
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm looking into the fusion tables right now.  I figure I will have students work on adding scripts whenever they finish early with a project or scene. Yea free labor!

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 8.  RE: Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-09-2018 06:27
    I had the same question last week and did some work. I found Libib Pro. We pay about 10 bucks a month but here is what it does:

• Scans the play into the program through camera on phone.
    • this creates a photo of the play and each time you scan, it adds a copy.
    • it creates a website that students can go to to see what is in your library. If they click on many titles, it will also add a summary to the student.
    • you can then print generated labels from Libib and use your phone or scanner to check out books. (You can also add student librarians)
    • it automatically sends due date reminders.
    • you can export as a .csv file to then make sure books are returned.
    • there are more features, but it's awesome.

Matthew Logan
    Theatre Director
    Kingwood TX

• 9.  RE: Library program for cataloging scripts?

Posted 05-09-2018 12:39
      |   view attached
    The method I use is really old-school, but simple. 

With the exception of a few scripts I like to make sure are going home with students who are ready for them, all of our scripts are on a tall bookshelf in the classroom.  A lectern beside the bookcase holds a binder with the scripts listed in it by name of play.  Students sign out scripts by putting the date in the C/O column and their names in the name column.  Then they bring the script back, they put the date in the C/I column and put the script back on the shelf.

I update the list about twice a semester by typing the check out date and student's first initial and last name by any script currently checked out.  I keep a couple of sheets of file folder labels in the binder for a student to put over another student's information, for those cases when scripts go hand to hand faster than I update the list.

When a student wants a script that another student has had checked out for a while, s/he writes a note on the board, asking the student to return the script.  

I'm attaching the first page of the list, for anyone who is curious to see it.  Really simple table.  It provides a bit of accountability for what is essentially an honor system--not just accountability to me, but to fellow students. 

The notes out to the right edge are the last date I replaced the script copy, and an M to indicate a script is missing and needs to be reordered.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

Attachment(s)

docx
    PLAY LIBRARY-pg1.docx   25 KB 1 version