Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One Act Barefoot in the Park

Posted 12-06-2019 18:08
    Does anyone have an approved one-act cutting of Barefoot in the Park? Does anyone know if Neil Simon is agreeable to having shows cut down for competition use? Has anyone every managed that before? 
    I have some great kids working on scenes from the play, but I'm not sure I have the energy to mount the entire production this winter.

------------------------------
    John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 2.  RE: One Act Barefoot in the Park

Posted 12-07-2019 11:12
    Neil Simon is notorious for pretty much always refusing to permit cuttings, including doing a single act of Plaza Suite or California Suite, which are really one-act collections.
    We were stunned and delighted at the NCA Cappies the year before last when he permitted a Best Play nominee to present a 3-minute cutting of Biloxi Blues to be performed at the Kennedy Center awards gala.
    Sorry. Worth a try, but you'd better have Plan B.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 3.  RE: One Act Barefoot in the Park

Posted 12-07-2019 13:01
    Years ago, I was at a EdTa conference where Samuel French presented a workshop on cuttings, licenses, etc. I remember specifically them mentioning that Neil Simon was very agreeable to using cuttings for educational, competition purposes. 
    Good Luck!

Roger

• 4.  RE: One Act Barefoot in the Park

Posted 12-10-2019 16:03
    Neil Simon approved cutting some specific language and the prayer scene from Fools for me decades ago.  But since he has died, he is not making those decisions anymore.

I think your best bet is to actually call Samuel French and ask a real, live person for advice on asking for permission. 

And I think a lot of us would be interested in whether you can get permission to do a cutting.  Barefoot in the Park seems particularly ripe for cutting, as the telephone man scene at the top of the show is completely alien to students now.  "Once upon a time, we had to call AT&T to hook up a phone, and they sent a man who brought a phone with him and hooked it up to a cord in the wall, and then he had to go outside and do something mysterious that would make the phone ring, and when you picked up, there would be a dial tone, and you could use the phone right there or as far as the cord reached.  See how funny that is?"  Geez.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC