Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Letters to Sala

Posted 05-17-2017 09:40
    We are in tech for a production of Letters to Sala. I recommend that you consider it when putting together a season of theatre. The play has provided us with so many opportunities. Our actors have completely invested in the lives of these characters and are doing some of the best acting work that I've seen. They've dug into the research. They read Ann Kirschner's book, Sala's Gift, that presents the story upon which much of the play is based. Letters to Sala provides great opportunities for women- all of the principal characters are women. It can be performed with a large ensemble, or pared down by doubling roles. (We have 17 in the cast.)  It can be tied into your school's history curriculum. There are opportunities for creative staging. The material is difficult and in no way dumbed down for high school actors, but there's nothing in it to create issues with administration, parents, or audiences. If you are looking for a play that will challenge your actors and engage your audiences, I encourage you to consider Letters to Sala. 

------------------------------
    Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA
    ------------------------------