Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-10-2018 20:49
    Hey friends,

So I have a question about choreography. In general, what is the process for choreographing a musical? If you're working with a choreographer, how much of the choreography should be written/determined before it's presented to the performers, in your experience? How much of choreography is determined during the rehearsal process, in general?

I am currently working on a high school production where the choreographer has not planned out the dance numbers and is coming up with the routines on the spot with the choir director. The choreographer also appears to be somewhat unfamiliar with the music. The cast is fairly large (we're doing Seussical), and none of them have any dance experience save for one of the leads and a few people in chorus, and so it's been a real struggle for them. 

Any insight into the choreography process would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Kerry Jeffrey
    Vancouver WA

• 2.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-11-2018 07:33
    Hi,  A good choreographer will always be prepared with a well thought out routine to teach the kids.  They should know the material well in advance of coming to rehearsal and be ready to teach.  They should also know how to instruct the kids in a methodical way that they can understand and review in short intervals or bars of 8.  Good luck with your show.

Linda Urban
    Haverhill MA

• 3.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-11-2018 07:43
    Sounds like you will be looking for a new choreographer next year.

it will take exponentially longer to set choreography if it is being made up on the spot. Of course it is the choreographer's job to come into rehearsals familiar with the music, the plot, the show in general and with at least the basic choreographer already mapped out on paper. Most choreographers I have worked with do this on a number by number basis. If not, I move on.

It is of course in your best interest to meet with the choreographer and the rest of your creative team in advance of starting on the show so that you can all get on the same page -- under your direction. You set the artistic course and everyone else should tow the line.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-11-2018 08:14
    Great questions!  Most people think that choreography, like directing, is simply a process of saying "go here" and "do this".  As you've discovered, there's so much more to it.

The music is key.  A choreographer that hasn't listened to the music is like a director not reading the script prior to blocking rehearsals.  That being said, working out the actual dance is not necessarily a problem.  Of course, the more prep work the choreographer has done prior to teaching the moves is always a time saver, and, well, better.

Occasionally, just like in directing, certain plans don't always work out and specific dance moves, tableaux, and other staging elements will have to be changed.  I have one AMAZING choreographer that I work with who teaches and dances professionally.  She pushes the skill level of our kids and the results are fantastic.  However, she does have to abandon certain plans because we just don't have enough skilled/trained dancers.  If you have a choreographer that can also teach technique, so much the better.  Being flexible and willing/able to adjust the choreo is a skill that too many great dance teachers don't always possess.

So, to recap:
    1) The choreographer must be familiar with the music (and I would also stress the script) prior to rehearsals.
    2) A rough idea of the dances and overall staging is helpful.
    3) Being able and willing to adjust the choreo will make for a better overall experience.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 5.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-11-2018 19:08
    In addition to the excellent comments so far, I'll add that I include my choreographer in my auditions.  It helps if the choreographer can teach the students a short routine and watch them perform it in groups so s/he has an idea of the skill level (or not) of the students.  We learn the music before working on choreography in rehearsal, so that gives the choreographer a chance to make adjustments based on the skill level of the cast members.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-11-2018 09:01
    I always meet with my choreographer beforehand to talk through where my blocking has characters at the start of the song, blocking needs during the song, and where I need them to be at the end of the song. If you are having concerns that your choreographer isn't coming in properly prepared, insisting on a meeting like this may help. 

For the choreographer's part, their process should be very similar to your own blocking process- he/she should definitely have listened through the material, and planned the movements ahead of time. Then as they teach, they may need to adjust as they realize something won't work or the kids can't handle it. 

I have worked with similar choreographers to yours, and some are very gifted at coming up with movement on the spot, but really they should be coming in with a plan. 

--
    Mr. Benjamin Cossitor
    English/Gifted Support/Drama
    Altoona Area High School
    1415 6th Ave
    Altoona, PA 16602
    (814) 505-1510 ext. 8822

• 7.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-11-2018 09:57
    My daughters & I choreograph the dances for my school’s musicals. We spend all of Christmas break in my living room, creating, practicing, writing, etc. We usually go to AC for a few nights after Christmas and guess what we do it the hotel room? I teach one of the dances at each of the rehearsals so by the middle of January all have been taught. I then practice for weeks so Teaching will be smooth & I still have to have someone look at the notes often into February because I forget what comes next until we’ve practiced 38 times. I could never do it on the cuff. It’s like blocking, you have to put the work in ahead of time. Often people sign up to work on choreography but they have never come with anything more than 1 song done and the steps they create are always too hard for the group as a whole. They just don’t get that what they can do is not the norm. I do dance cuts 2 weeks before opening as I would rather have 4 dancers in step than 20 sloppy so I don’t want to make them so challenging that everyone gets cut.

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-11-2018 10:14
    I have dance training but am not exclusively a choreographer: I'm a director who can choreograph. I'd never just make up a dance on the spot. Fix and adjust, yes, but never just go in cold.
    I start with the sheet music because I do read music and I use those notes and notation to get ideas. I'd do historic research if necessary and have at least a floor plan of set pieces and furnishing I'd need to work around. 
    I'd also need to know which characters/actors are desired for each piece. Does the director want this to be a small number or more of a full-cast production number. 
    I usually write out my choreography by counts and sometimes I make small sketches for placement or a particular hand gesture or movement. I've also used manipulatives to make sure the people are fully visible and to check patterns and placement. 
    There is a lot more that goes into choreo than just jazz squares. :)

Irene Imboden
    Teacher/ Drama Director
    Troy City Schools
    OH

• 9.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-11-2018 14:18

Making up choreography on the fly is a disservice to everyone involved.  It wastes the performer's and music director's time, and there is rarely too much time in any production, especially a musical.  I'm not saying that everything should be planned out and unchangeable.  Sometimes what seems like a great idea just doesn't work, and you have to find something that does work.  

On top of all that, when the choreography isn't thought out ahead of time, the first thought that comes to the choreographer's mind is what is taught.  There's no development of ideas from initial impressions to final product.  It's just the first thing that pops into the choreographer's head, and the show is stuck with that.  We wouldn't design a set or costume based on the first idea we have, without looking for ways to improve the initial concept and see how it works with other designer's work.

And there's zero excuse for a choreographer not  knowing the music backwards and forwards.  

I have worked with several choreographers who didn't come too rehearsals prepared, and it was a nightmare each time.  I never hired them again.

Bob Fowler

Interactive Educational Video, LLC

• 10.  RE: Choreography for Musical Theater

Posted 10-18-2018 12:03
    I'm going to speak to this as both a director and choreographer; especially as I was trained in a professional studio growing up. Sorry if I am rambling a bit in the language. We're in tech week for our fall show right now...

Your choreographer is not doing is not completing his/her responsibilities. Just like a director needs to ensure that staging and set design are completed before working with actors a choreographer needs to have formations, transitions and choreography completed before the actors are present. Choreography is an art no different from any other and requires the appropriate amount of time needed for creation. Additionally, depending on the style requirements of the numbers, a choreographer needs to ensure that the movement is within the capabilities of the cast and still meshes seamlessly with the scenes to move the story forward.

When I am choreographing, regardless of whether I am directing the show in addition to choreographing or simply working as a choreographer, I always have all of the numbers finished and written out before rehearsals for the performance begin. I also listen to the entire show, unless it's an original production, before beginning choreography to ensure that the styles are appropriate to the different numbers but still have a consistent "feel" for the entire show. Does your choreographer not read music? I get a copy of the score so I have the correct music and time signatures.

I'd also recommend arranging for dance captains in the future to help your cast learn the choreography and begin having a dance audition for your musicals. Your choreographer needs to come to this audition, if not run it (which I recommend), so he/she can see the level of movement the cast will be capable of.

Also, for parts that have strong dance requirements, I hold dance workshops before the audition to teach some choreography. This allows me to get a strong indication on both the technical dance level of the actors and the speed the choreography is learned.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ