Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 05-29-2018 20:50
    Hello everyone! I am interested in starting an improv team at my high school. I want to know if anyone else has done this and has any pointers? Did it work out? Any books I should read to get an idea to how to run everything? Anything would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

------------------------------
    Avery Adams
    New Kent VA

• 2.  RE: Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 05-30-2018 07:33
    I hate to be that person trying to promote their own thing on the forum, but my book Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv is designed exactly for folks in your situation.

It covers everything from basic improv principles to warm-ups to team building to how to run a competition or camp, along with a compilation of games with trick for success with each and resources to make it all work. I hope it can be of help! 

Link is below...

https://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-Everything-Teaching-Performing-Improv-ebook/dp/B014B5D3JY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527679511&sr=8-2&keywords=teach+improv&dpID=51nWpKYigBL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Trace Crawford
    Drama Director, Hilliard Davidson High School
    www.hilliarddavidsontheatre.com
    hdvtechcrew.weebly.com
    www.tracecrawford.com

• 3.  RE: Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 05-30-2018 08:16
    This sounds silly, but JUST DO IT. The beauty of an improv team (especially to start with) is that it takes very little set up. 

I have run an improv team for 11 years, just because I wanted to start one. Here was my process:

1. Get admin approval
    2. Have auditions. Cast 4 students from each grade level (this was my first year's plan, every audition after has been run by my students, and THEY make all the decisions...which is a really sobering experience for them)
    3. Find opportunities to perform. We have performed at school, the local library, a local coffee shop, and currently at a local diner that opens up specifically for us one night a month. We don't pay for the space, or charge admission, but we encourage our patrons to purchase from the business. For us, in a small town, this is a great reciprocal relationship. 
    4. Set your performances. We perform once a month through the school year. At times I will agree to a "special request" performance (we traveled to a elementary school yesterday for a show) 
    5. If you want to fundraise, find a cool way to do so. We do an annual murder mystery dinner, where we partner with a professional improv company (if you want more info on that let me know.) 

I have found that improv is a very rewarding enterprise. It's fun, and silly. We set up our shows like "Whose Line..." and the kids have a great time. Sometimes we are funny, sometimes we aren't...but my students learn a lot along the way. 

My email is blackr@waylandunion.org feel free to contact me with any more questions.

Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 4.  RE: Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 05-30-2018 10:07
    GREAT TO HEAR!!  We need more high school troupes.  I currently oversee our Improv Comedy Team of roughly 30 players, grades 9-12.  I've run similar troupes in other schools and advise other drama teachers on how this works.

After 25 years as both a professional improvisational actor and teacher, there are lots of mistakes you will make as you put a troupe together.  Similar to putting a rock band together, you will have pitfalls, including: personality conflicts, differences in goals for the troupe, philosophical differences, etc.  But in the dozens of bad improv groups with which I've performed (both as a student and as an adult), they all shared a common trait: bad leadership.  The groups which which I still am associated and have over a 30 year history have outstanding leadership and a clear delineation between the business side and the artistic side.

I've often found that running a troupe "by committee" can have significant drawbacks.  Also, if you're dealing with students with little or no training, you need to have a source positive, constructive feedback.  It cannot be an exercise in vanity or power.

Here are three quick steps to get started:
    1) Have a trained, experienced teaching artist oversee the process.  Too often, people assume that improv is a loose, happy-go-lucky free-for-all.  Hardly.  It is as disciplined and structured as any other artistic skill.  Just a bit more fun, perhaps.  An adult supervisor will add gravitas and help ensure that people take the work seriously, even while they're having a blast.  In time, the students may be able to take over and run it themselves.
    2) Schedule regular workshops in which you cover the Rules of Improv and learn the various games.  While I cover improv principles and play games in my daily drama classes, we have regular after-school workshops for our Improv Team.  Anyone can join at any time, and get into the nitty-gritty of improvisation.  But there is a process for earning your way on stage in a show.
    3) Have a hierarchy when it comes to performing in public.  Some games are great for rookies. Some are only for only the highest level of trained veterans.  While this can cause some disappointment among the rookies ("But I really love that game, why can't I play it?"), you will actually serve both the group, and most importantly, your audience. The most successful troupes in the country all use a hierarchy, including Second City, UCB, Dad's Garage Theatre, and Laughing Matters.

Of course, there are dozens of great books and online resources.  I suggest you do some research.  Google the groups I've listed above and see how they run their workshops and shows.  Most importantly: GO SEE SHOWS.  While some may be a little risqué, the best troupes pride themselves on being clean (or at least PG-13).

Have fun!!!

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 5.  RE: Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 05-30-2018 10:52
    It's definitely something you should go for. It's very doable. You might look  into NCT (National Comedy Theatre). They have a high school league and offer masterclasses through it.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 05-30-2018 12:16
      |   view attached
    We have had an improv troupe, Improvedy, at my school for the past 19 years.  It has grown into quite a phenomenon--we do four public shows a year for audiences of 200-300 as well as private gigs for businesses, Christmas parties, you name it.  It's all short form--based on games.  Much like the old show WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY.  Auditions are held in the fall and the troupe is about 8-10 students.  I'd be happy to send you stuff I use with them. Just email me.  I've attached the 25 Rules of Improv that I start with. It's really very easy to start a troupe and you and  the kids will  have a blast.  In terms of games to play and learn from--check out this site:  Improv Encyclopedia
    Improvencyclopedia remove preview
    Improv Encyclopedia
    Encyclopedia of improv games, improv terms, formats, and references. Whole site can be downloaded as a PFD booklet.
    View this on Improvencyclopedia >

Ron Parker
    Theatre Educator
    Appleton North High School
    Renaissance School for the Arts
    Appleton WI

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 05-30-2018 12:32
    I recommend an Improv book written by James Thomas Bailey, a Theatre educator, Artistic Director of ComedySportz Los Angeles; Founder of ComedySportzLA, Founder of the largest CA high school league, among other creds. His book, TEACHING IMPROV:
    A Practical Classroom Guide for Theatre Educators is valuable and easy to use. It can be ordered by emailing ComedySportz at anne@CSZLA or call their office at 323 861 1293.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 8.  RE: Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 05-31-2018 08:19
    You can buy books, for sure, but there are a lot of free resources out there!

One good, and free resource is the Canadian Improv Games site.  
    http://improv.ca/training/online-training-resource/

It includes: Some stuff is specific to the Canadian program, but definitely not all.

Another free resource is:
    http://improvencyclopedia.org/games/

You can download the whole thing.

Good luck!  I'd love to hear an update in six months or so!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 9.  RE: Building an Improv Team/Group

Posted 06-01-2018 15:50

Absolutely use online resources, but I whole-heartedly agree with Gai about James Thomas Bailey's book.  It is incredibly insightful, connecting improv to many of the theatre skills and life skills we want our students developing.  Each lesson is modeled and it both highly scripted AND highly adaptable.  And I swear I am not getting paid for this endorsement J  Use it, and build your program.