Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Jekyll and Hyde

Posted 04-21-2017 06:37
    Good morning,
    I'm considering Jekyll and Hyde for next year.  Anyone have any clues or tips?  What is  the good, bad and ugly of the show?

Thanks,
    Holly

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE: Jekyll and Hyde

Posted 04-21-2017 11:04
    I've never done it, although I would love to, and my considerations for that are below.

A)  You need to have a male who can convincingly sing two different roles--they need to be distinctive enough to be clearly different people.  He also has to be able to physically transform and be able to maintain that throughout performance of Hyde.

B)  My schools have been too conservative to deal with the prostitution piece as well as the abuse upon Lucy by both Spider and Hyde

C)  It is a huge costuming budget - if you keep it period

D)  There are some pyrotechnics that are not necessary, but make some pop in both the laboratory and the murder scenes.

E)  It is a show with 95% singing--you have to have a cast that can sing an entire show.  There is virutally no dialogue, so there are no real spots for non-singers.

F)  it is a no-dance show, so that's a plus.

G)  Lucy and Emma can be tough to cast--both have to have strong voices that compliment each other, and need to be able to belt solos, as well as sing in several duets and trios.

I love the show--I want to do it so bad--it's one of my dream shows.  Maybe one day--Good luck to you.

Jennifer Miguel
    Hampton, VA

• 3.  RE: Jekyll and Hyde

Posted 04-22-2017 08:16
    Hello,
    We did Jekyll & Hyde 3 years ago, and it was one of my FAVORITE shows to date!  Other than having a super-strong male, and a couple strong female singers, the ensemble was easy to cast.  
    For costumes, we make our aesthetic more steam punk and didn't focus on the "prostitute" angle.  We went more "bar wench". 
    I've attached two student "trailer" projects so you can see us in rehearsals :)
    We rented some period costumes from a local college; had skirts made; and purchased corsets online (very cheap!)  The aesthetic was cool, and the kids loved using a ton of fake blood!  The tech kids loved using all the fog. The show was so great because there was so much room for visual creativity.  
    I SERIOUSLY recommend this show! It challenges the kids, the music is infectious with the students, and it is so fun to do something a little "dark" rather than the happy ending shows we so often do.
    Best of luck choosing your show!!

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA