Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-20-2017 16:10
    If you are like me, you spend HOURS deciding which play or musical will be the right fit for your school and your actors.  I was wondering if some of you could share your most successful plays for all our benefit.

I am a director at a small high school (around 200 students); and, like many of you, I have to stretch my budget.

Musicals I've enjoyed producing are Cinderella (Enchanted Edition), Legally Blonde, and Pajama Game.
    Comedies which worked well for our school are Ken Ludwig's The Game's Afoot, Fred Carmichael's Done to Death, and Billy St John's The Werewolf's Curse.

Would the rest of you care to share some of you titles?

This message (and any associated files) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by sending a reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

• 2.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-21-2017 00:32
    Musical: Sunday in the Park with George. Although way back in the day, when I was a high school student, my drama department performed this show and cut Act 2 to avoid having to create Chromolume #7. Definitely don't recommend going that route. (Looking at you, Into the Woods Jr.) But if you have a strong visual/media arts department in your high school, you have the opportunity to come up with something really remarkable.

One-Act Play: The Love Talker. Directed this back in 2003. Still my favorite one-act play. It's a a psychosexual thriller set in the Appalachian Mountains about two sisters confronting supernatural forces. The students loved performing it, and I loved directing it. It's a small four-person cast, but the script's off-kilter enough that you could add in an entire ghostlike ensemble, and no one would be the wiser.

------------------------------
    Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 3.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-22-2017 07:52
    Everyone should do Urinetown. Aside from Hairspray this is the musical we have sold the most tickets to ever. Because the kids loved it and talked about it. Creating buzz. 

She Kills Monsters
    You need one good actor who can play a tough Brooklyn kid for King Kirby. And also need to be ok with language

I am doing The Boy At the Edge of Everything by Finnegan Kruckemeyer this year. It is magical.

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 4.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-21-2017 09:28
    Each year EdTA/Dramatic Magazine does a survey of the most produced plays. I thought you might be interested. Here is the link: https://www.schooltheatre.org/resources/dramatics/playsurvey

--
    "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." - Shakespeare

• 5.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-29-2017 09:22
    I love that survey and that list!  NPR always does a feature on it, too.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 6.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-21-2017 09:38
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Little Mermaid
    Fame
    Little Shop of Horrors
    The Sound of Music

--
    Nancy Gibson

Theater Teacher
    ITS Troupe 8259 Director
    Eagle Theater Director
    Case High School
    262-619-4200 ex 5317

• 7.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-21-2017 09:40
    VERY SMALL PRIVATE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
    12 ANGRY MEN/WOMEN/JURORS
    YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU
    DON'T DRINK THE WATER
    ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER

Dr. Joseph DiCicco
    Educator: Theatre 6-12
    Whitefield Academy
    Louisville KY

• 8.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-21-2017 09:57
    Musicals:
    Aida: School Edition
    Spamalot (can be done on a shoestring budget it you're creative)
    Oklahoma!

Comedies:
    Musical Comedy Murders of 1940
    Happily Ever Once Upon
    Romeo and Juliet: Choose Your Own Ending (I haven't produced this yet.. wrong group of kids but I'm waiting...)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-21-2017 10:36
    This is a pretty open-ended question.  How many kids usually try out for the shows?  Also, how much can your kids handle as far as content?  How about length?  I'm not mentioning anything new here, but there are some great adaptions of Shakespearean comedies like Midsummer.  There are also some lighter takes on Macbeth or Hamlet out there that take a humorous spin.  There are also a lot of parodies of fairy tales out there that are short and easy to stage.  Mainstream audiences love shows they're familiar with: A Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, M*A*S*H, Steel Magnolias.

In a season, I usually pair popular shows with something lesser known that is similar in theme or aesthetic to save on expenses; two radio shows equals one set or two holiday-themed shows (Almost Maine and It's a Wonderful Life) means reusing Christmas decorations even if costuming the eras might be different.  This second show also allows you to take some risks with the material, giving you a chance to stretch your students' skills and your audience's expectations.

This email was sent by a staff member of Harlem Consolidated School District 122.

• 10.  RE: Ideas for plays?

Posted 11-21-2017 15:30
    We are a Friends school (mostly boarding), fairly progressive. We produce three shows a year (with one musical). I have found that plays with meat on them work best, and our students respond really well to plays that engage them in some sort of big idea. We have started to pick a theme for our season (this year are all plays that have stories that are retold over time/place). 

Some favorite Plays:  
    Big Love 
    (Anon)ymous 
    Caucasian Chalk Circle
    Laramie Project
    Insect Play
    Romeo and Juliet
    Macbeth
    Twelfth Night

Favorite Musicals: 
    Rent
    Cabaret
    Carousel
    Fiddler 
    Three Penny Opera

I do try to mix periods and styles, and I still see a lot of value in regularly producing Shakespeare and other "great" plays. That said, I also am looking to make sure that we are producing writers of color and female writers more. Our unofficial policy has been at least one writer of color and/or woman and to try to assure that the stories we tell do not focus exclusively on stories of white people- we are not succeeding as well as I'd like. The challenges and rewards of that approach could be another discussion prompt.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA