Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  gun in WEST SIDE STORY

Posted 02-18-2019 13:40
    We are performing WEST SIDE STORY next month.  How did you handle Chino's shooting Tony?  What kind of gun did you use?

------------------------------
    Rebecca Reisert
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: gun in WEST SIDE STORY

Posted 02-19-2019 05:45
    I would avoid using a recorded sfx or cap gun as they will detract from the seriousness of the scene. There are many places online where you can purchase a prop starter pistol style gun that looks and sounds very realistic for about $40. Just a few tips if you go that route ... the guns and caps cannot be shipped to school so they will need to go to a home address. Make sure to let your admin know - especially if you are new to your school/program. And make sure the audience is aware that you will be using realistic sounding effects. Also, I keep the two that I have purchased over the years locked in my office ... don't store backstage where kids will mess with them.

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 3.  RE: gun in WEST SIDE STORY

Posted 02-19-2019 06:32
    Hello
    when we did west about 4 years ago we used a starter pistol that would be used for track meets. It worked great and was better than a sound effect. When using a gun in a show, I would make sure you post a note about it at the entrance to the theatre as well as in your program and pre show announcement. I think it is a good way to protect yourself and the school especially given our more recent society with the many shootings happening. 

When the gun gun was not being used it was locked up in the office. Prior to the final scene the props supervisor would load the gun, give it to the actor and then take it back as soon as he left the stage. we wanted to keep a tight control of the gun given we are a school. We also notified our school security that there was a gun locked away.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 4.  RE: gun in WEST SIDE STORY

Posted 02-19-2019 08:58
    We used a prop gun on stage and a starter pistol off stage.  We wanted to be as safe as possible.  It was times and no one in the audience had any idea.

Ted Curry
    Pleasant Hill CA

• 5.  RE: gun in WEST SIDE STORY

Posted 02-19-2019 13:07
    Starter pistol with blanks.  Only handed off to actor by teacher.  Handed back after scene.

• 6.  RE: gun in WEST SIDE STORY

Posted 02-20-2019 07:32
    There was a similar discussion a few months ago.. hopefully here is the link as there was some really good discussion in this thread.  

Another route you might explore is to have another actor or technician simply clap two boards together off stage when the prop gun cue is needed on stage.  With some rehearsal timing, this can be pretty effective.

Open Forum
    Schooltheatre remove preview
    Open Forum
    Join the discussion happening in EdTA's Theatre Education community!
    View this on Schooltheatre >

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 7.  RE: gun in WEST SIDE STORY

Posted 02-20-2019 07:50

Thanks so much.

• 8.  RE: gun in WEST SIDE STORY

Posted 02-26-2019 15:39
    Which ever prop you end up using – please be aware that possession of anything that even looks like a weapon on a school campus can be grounds for being expelled for a student.  To protect your students and to assuage your admin, have a prop weapons safety policy and rules in place before anyone brings any prop weapons onto campus.  Here's an excerpt from my Safety Manual book (link to books in my signature line) that you are welcome to use as is or adapt as needed (if your school theatre doesn't have theatre technicians on staff, substitute the words drama teacher, or other staff members in charge).

Prop Weapons

School policy prohibits the carrying, possession or use of a firearm – or anything that looks like a firearm - on school premises, which includes, but is not limited to, guns, knives and swords.  Prop weapons are permitted in the theatre for the purposes of use during rehearsals and production only.  Prop weapons are not toys, therefore the following procedures must be followed:

The theatre Technician must be informed prior to the event if the event includes the use of any prop weapons.

If you will be bringing a prop weapon to the theatre for the use in your event, the theatre Technician or other district employee must meet you at your car and accompany you to the theatre.  (This is so that you are not put in the place of being mistakenly accused of having a weapon on campus, between your car door and the theatre door.)

Prop weapons shall only be available when required for a rehearsal or performance. Only the performer who is using the prop weapon, the Props Master, assigned Weapons Handler, event manager, or theatre Technician shall handle any prop weapons.  If your character does not use the prop weapon, do not touch it.

All prop weapons shall be treated as real weapons; handle prop guns as if loaded, and handle prop knives and swords as if they are sharp.  All prop weapons shall be secured in a locked room or cabinet when not in use. 

The school shall be held harmless from injury or death resulting from the use of prop weapons.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Educational Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

www.PRESETT.org
    - HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS BOOKS and COMPLIMENTARY ARTICLE DOWNLOADS (http://www.presett.org/helpful-books.html)
    - LIGHTING INSTITUTE FOR THEATRE TEACHERS - ONLINE MINI COURSES (ask for complimentary syllabus)
    - HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS ONLINE COURSE FOR TEACHERS (ask for complimentary syllabus)
    - THE ECLECTECH SHOPPE (http://www.presett.org/eclectech.html)

beth@PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO