Open Forum

View Only

Theatre Resources

• 1.  Theatre Resources

Posted 10-10-2018 13:08
    Hi All,

I teach a University Theatre Methods class to students preparing to student-teach and eventually become fabulous theatre such as yourselves.  Next week my lesson's on "Amazing Resource for the Theatre Teacher".  Besides EdTA and this incredible forum, will you help compile a list of must have resources for a new theatre teacher?  I'm looking for must have books, text books, lesson plan sites, online sites, classroom supplies (I.e. cubes), tech vendors, etc. -the list goes on and on.  I'm hoping our new EdTA theater teachers starting their careers' will find this list helpful too.

I heartfelt thank you for sharing and responing.

Russ

------------------------------
    Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 2.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-11-2018 06:52
    Look at Drama Teacher's Academy (DTA) through Theatre folks publishing (theatrefolk.com).  It is a payed site, but it has wonderful Professional development modules, they do online chats over specific subjects about once or twice a month, lesson plan banks and resources which are uploaded from members.  They also have a closed facebook page where you can interact with other members.  I find it worth the money.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 3.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-11-2018 08:19
    Raising the Curtain- Gai Jones
    Drama Games and Improv - Justine Jones and Mary Anne Kelly
    Improv Ideas 2- Justine Jones and Mary Ann Kelley

We are members of NSDA and I use many Final round videos for performance examples and discussion.
    Humorous, Dramatic and Duo interp.

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 4.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-11-2018 10:44
    Great online resources:

Facebook Groups-
    Theatre Teacher Lesson Lending
    High School Theatre Directors

BYU Theatre Education Database (tedb.byu.edu) Online data base of lessons and units for theatre

The Drama Bookshop (dramabookshop.com)- best place to order perusal copies since they carry plays from multiple publishing houses

My favorite book for activities for my acting class was "Theatre for Community, Conflict & Dialogue" by Michael Rohd. It is a collection of improv and theatre games that help to create a community. Originally used in a prison-setting, but translates very well to acting class.

Scott Wilson
    Fine Arts Consultant
    Ohio Department of Education
    Columbus OH

• 5.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-11-2018 11:02
    Theatrefolk.com has an amazing resource - Drama Teacher Academy

Nickie Alexander
    Bellevue WA

• 6.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-11-2018 12:29

The book store that specializes in theater and entertainment industry books and plays in NYC. The Drama Bookshop https://www.dramabookshop.com . If you are in NYC check there website out because they often has unique speakers at the bookshop. If you are looking for something special that you cannot find, give them a call.

For Commedia dell'Arte, Neutral Mask and custom masks for the classroom or professional use; which is my company www.maskarts.com or call directly at 212-255-2882 Mask Arts Company. Base in Manhattan NYC. In the Commedia dell'Arte sections of the website there are list of articles on Commedia dell'Arte and theater, Commedia dell'Arte character descriptions and more. One of the only place in the United States to get Performer Slapsticks, it looks like a stick, yet masks a big whack, with no springs. Took decades to come to this Performer Slapstick design. There are also some videos.

For recommended books on Commedia dell'Arte some in print some out of print. https://www
    .maskarts.com/booksrecommenedoncommedia.htm

Workshops on: mask making: Commedia dell'Arte intensives: Neutral Mask Metaphysical Mask Lab: Creating Original Material - Beyond Devised Theater: Mime - Movement – Rhythm: Custom Leather Clown Nose Making workshops:

Mask Arts Co Teaching Coaching Directing Playwriting Acting

https://www.maskarts.com/maskartsteachingplaysact.html#teaching 

Workshop are for professionals, students, and teachers and give a variety of skill, history and exercises theater teachers can use in the classroom.

[Stanley Allan] [Sherman] [Custom theater mask making, Commedia dell'Arte masks & workshops. NYC winter holiday workshops and summer workshops]
    [Mask Maker, Commedia dell'Arte expert, Teacher, Mime, Movement, Actor, Director, performer, producer of workshops and shows.]
    [Mask Arts Company www.maskart.com]
    [New York] [NY][stanley@maskarts.com[212-255-2882][il-dottore@commediau.com][New York][NY][Roving Classical Commedia University* (*totally unaccredited) ]

• 7.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-11-2018 14:28
    Have them investigate the Interactive Learning series of videos produced by Bob & Marti Fowler.  Although I came with a strong tech background when I started teaching, many theatre teachers are acting/directing majors with one or two stagecraft classes under their belts.  The series Bob and Marti have produced are video based lesson plans complete with worksheets, tests, and activities.  Each video gives a good solid overview in various aspects of tech theatre: Stage Management, Lighting, Sound, Costume Design, etc.  They are a great resource not only for student learning but in helping teachers learn how to teach the various subjects.  They are available through the EdTA store.

Terry McGonigle
    SPRINGFIELD OH

• 8.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-11-2018 19:05
    I put together a Resources page on my blog, which lists a number of... well... resources on tech theatre, including magazines, theatrical suppliers, tool and equipment suppliers, book publishers, drafting and sketching programs, and educational organizations. There might be something in there that you want to use.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 9.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-12-2018 14:51
    These resources are amazing.  Just the kinda stuff I'm looking for,  Thank you for your responses - please keep them coming.  

Enjoy your weekend.

Russ

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 10.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-12-2018 16:00
    I second:

Gai Jones 'Raising the Curtain'
    Practical Technical Theatre DVD series by Bob and Marti Fowler 
    Drama Teacher Academy
    Theatre for Community, Conflict and Dialogue

Some extras:

Jessica Swale's 'Drama Games' books ('...for Classrooms and Workshops' '...for Devising') are priceless and super handy.
    Making Theatre by Joss Bennathan: excellent book on devising theatre, providing over 10 different methods or starting points which are walked through
    How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig: part biographical, but mostly a great way to teach essential Shakespeare quotes/speeches and things to your 'children'/students etc., as a supplemental or introductory way to teach Shakespeare without fear
    Bruce Miller: Acting on the Script or The Actor as Storyteller are two excellent texts that give immense practical help on teaching acting. 

Hope I wasn't too late to contribute!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 11.  RE: Theatre Resources

Posted 10-13-2018 11:06

Be sure to include Real-World Theatre Education for a season-by-season walk-through of what to expect from job search to summer vacation, the "context" of teaching and directing in a school setting: dealing with casting blowback, field trip and fund raisers, competing for enrollment with other electives, the politics of running a theatre program & 26 downloadable templates to customize (avoid reinventing the wheel) from sample curricula to tech rules to post to a form for a student to request a college recommendation.  Lots of anecdotes to entertain/instruct and "what-if" scenarios to discuss. It's available through EdTA, Amazon, SamFrench, Pioneer...and the link above.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview