Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Big Fish - Small School

Posted 12-28-2017 22:11
    Does anyone have experience producing Big Fish for a small school? We're a small private school (emphasis on the world small). Our entire cast is 25 students. Any suggestions as far as saving money and getting creative with costuming and staging would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Yana Reinhard

• 2.  RE: Big Fish - Small School

Posted 12-29-2017 08:37
    Hi,
    We did the "12 Chairs" version two years ago due to our anticipated cast size. We are a small school as well.
    For the most part, you do not need to build a set for the show as so much of it is done in brief vignettes. In our case,
    a bed was rolled out for the scenes with Edward and his son, the hospital room, doctor's office, etc. The circus does need a bit more of "set dressing" and I you will likely need to build a cannon for Edward's launch. The Auburn University scene was established by constructing a sign (akin to the actual Auburn sign).
    Lighting was the biggest element in our production as it directed the audiences attention, helped to establish setting (the swamp, Karl's cave) and also lent visual interest in lieu of specific set pieces. We felt this best due to the rapid/seamless scene changes.
    Our students really enjoyed the production, audiences not as much. It is a bit difficult for some audience members to get the "time travel" aspects of the show (Edward is old, now he is young). That being said, the lack of familiarity can be a plus in that there are 
    few if any expectations from the audience in regard to sets and costumes. Speaking of costumes, the circus scene, the witches and Karl were the only scenes or characters where we had to develop specific costumes. If you are doing the full show, the armed forces number and the TV western scene will require uniforms, etc. The 12 Chair version lacks both of these.
    Best Wishes,
    Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 3.  RE: Big Fish - Small School

Posted 12-29-2017 08:48
    Consider using projections to change locations (and avoid building/painting/storage).

Douglas Rome
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Fairfax County Public Schools
    Burke VA

• 4.  RE: Big Fish - Small School

Posted 12-29-2017 10:34
    Just finished directing it in November. Great experience. I did a cast of 22 in a school of 240. We used 6 rolling books (8 ft. by 4 ft. by 16 inches) as backgrounds for the scenes. 

I can send photos.
    Brian

• 5.  RE: Big Fish - Small School

Posted 12-29-2017 21:53
    Brian, 

Thanks for your reply. I would love to see photos! How did you tackle the dancing elephant scene for the Calloway Circus?

Yana Reinhard

• 6.  RE: Big Fish - Small School

Posted 01-02-2018 11:30
    I skipped the dancing elephants. My Carl (on drywall stilts) started doing the Alabama Lambs choreography, with included booty shake, and we went with it.

Brian Bozanich
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    Toledo OH

• 7.  RE: Big Fish - Small School

Posted 12-30-2017 19:37
    Hello,

I co-directed Big Fish in the fall of 2016.  You should have no trouble with a cast of 25 as there are about main roles and the rest will be townspeople, circus performers, Auburn coeds, etc.  As far as costumes, I agree that most of the costumes are simple except for the witch, Karl the giant, and the head of the circus, Amos Calloway.    By the way, we used drywall stilts to make the giant taller, but I would strongly suggest giving the actor plenty of time to practice using them as they can be tricky at first.  As far as sets, we used three two-sided wagons.  One side was painted for the river scene and the other side painted as a circus tent.  We also used a sign to indicate Auburn University.  Other than that, we used furniture and set pieces for other scenes.  We didn't have a way to do projections, so we had to come up with other ways to do the sets.  I think my only disappointment was that we were not able to cover the entire stage with daffodils!  It's a great show with a lot of emotion, and once the cast gets into the show, I think you will have a great time with it.  Hope this information is helpful.

Break a leg!

Ken Robinson

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 8.  RE: Big Fish - Small School

Posted 01-02-2018 11:28
    Here are some indicative shots of our November 2016 production. I designed the book covers to resemble older book series. They were monochrome and each had the front and back painted for use in two different scenes.

The pre show books photo was the starting position as the audience entered the theatre. The orchestra was upstage of the books on raised platforms. During the prologue, the books were moved to their "Shelf." The Auburn shot shows how they tucked into the musicians. The showdown shot shows our simple rolling bed used for Will's, Edward's and the Hospital bed with different blankets and an added piece for What's Next. I also provided a shot of our book structure. these are 7'9" by 4'. They were cut down from 8 feet to accommodate our stage doors. The books were removed during the flood, symbolically the end of all Edward's stories, practically, it allowed me to put the hospital bed upstage further so the downstage could be used for the river. 

I enjoyed working on the show very much. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Brian Bozanich
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    Toledo OH