Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advertising!

Posted 04-13-2017 14:07
    Our drama club is doing "Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales".  I have what I need for tickets... but I am not clear on how I can get an image for an advertisement poster and a program.  The students who were supposed to do that were not able to accomplish the task.  How do you all advertise?  I am not sure how to do any of this.  HELP!!  I appreciate any help you can throw my way!

--
    Best Regards,
    Charlotte Kauffman
    English and Theatre Teacher
    King's Fork High School

• 2.  RE: Advertising!

Posted 04-13-2017 15:48
    Do you have any other students who can draw? Or maybe hit up your art department. I've done that in that past and then the kids were able to add it into their portfolios. 

It's also a good idea to have your cast and crew send info out on things like Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook and so on. We've given out free tickets to the person who gets the most re-tweets or equivalent to help increase the number of potential audience members. It worked out pretty well. The kid who got the 2 free tickets had over 100 re tweets

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Advertising!

Posted 04-14-2017 12:35
    I can definitely get that social media going on!  Great idea.  I will make sure to connect with the art department for the next show... I am a little late on this one.

Charlotte Kauffman
    English & Theatre Teacher
    Chesapeake VA

• 4.  RE: Advertising!

Posted 04-18-2017 10:20
    If you're able to either get production photos (dress rehearsal, held early explicitly for photographs) or a brief 10-20 seconds of footage, you can pretty quickly push those out on InstraChatBook or whichever social media platform. The incentive idea is a good one. Most people live on social media, so having a poster is still important, because you'll need that as your social media platform image. Images tend to have a higher share rate than just words alone.

If you need a quick design, consider doing simple line drawings, and find the awesome-est font ever. Sometimes, you could get away with just using a really cool font. Do a search for 'font' and then a word that describes what kind of font you want, e.g. I did a search for 'Viking font' for a Viking setting Romeo and Juliet we did, and it came back with at least 10 good fonts for me to choose from, all royalty free. If you really need an image, then you can also search for royalty free images that could work for you, in lieu of a student drawn/designed piece. But truly, there are so many amazing fonts out there that can do 90% of the work for you in terms of visual impact and awesomeness.

Good luck!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL