Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian points for pit orchestra?

Posted 10-10-2019 13:22
    Hi there - Does anyone give thespian points for students that are strictly in the pit orchestra?  I have a student that wants to join Thespian so he can come on our Broadway trip.  He hasn't been in an acting class, hasn't been involved in the productions other than as a pit orchestra member.  Do you give points for that??? This is the first time a student has asked.

------------------------------
    Lindsay McAloney
    Troupe Director
    Sussex NJ

• 2.  RE: Thespian points for pit orchestra?

Posted 10-10-2019 14:10
    I do - and it's on the points sheet. Musicians can get 2 or 3 points. (at your discretion, of course).

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Thespian points for pit orchestra?

Posted 10-11-2019 08:01
    I do award Thespian points for participating in the pit orchestra - but the guidelines for induction also state that to be inducted, students should earn points from two different categories.

If that is how you set up your by laws, then this particular student would not be eligible.  However, if they went to a state conference, or helped as an usher at a non-musical production, those hours/points would allow them to qualify. I have students who only do musicals (on stage roles) and do not help with the fall production  in any capacity.  I encourage them to join our club, or help as an usher (serving at least 10 hours so that they earn at least one theatre point).

I want students who qualify to be able to be inducted - however, I would also caution you to be aware of the potential for students who are just looking to add to their college applications without truly being invested.  We log time in a notebook so that we can track hours and give credit for points accordingly - but "quality work" is key - not just "being" there.