Open Forum

View Only

Wizard of Oz

• 1.  Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-29-2019 11:29
    Just checking..
    Is the Samuel French version the most common version performed?

Any other companies/other versions I should look into?

We traditionally do MTI jr. shows...so we are a little spoiled with their packages.... (scripts and music etc...)

This is our 10th anniversary of doing a show at our school and the wizard of oz was our first show...
    Thought it would be cool....

Thanks,
    Erika

------------------------------
    Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 2.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-29-2019 11:59
    Following! We're in a very similar boat for our spring kids' show, and there are so many "Not what I'm looking for" adaptations out there.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-29-2019 18:25
    Tams-Witmark has a Young Performers' Edition of The Wizard of Oz that I directed at a middle school last year. I've done a lot of the MTI JR. shows as well, and the Tams-Witmark YPE adaptations are pretty similar and provide you with many of the same resources. More info is available here: https://tamswitmark.com/shows/the-wizard-of-oz-young-performers-edition/

Elizabeth Berg
    Drama Teacher

• 4.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-30-2019 08:08
    The version that is closest to the "movie" is the RSC version. I believe it is held by tams whitmark.
    ive done it twice, keep in mind it's a huge undertaking with multiple sets required.

Brian Lovejoy
    Sunrise FL

• 5.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-30-2019 08:59

@Erika Trahan

We did Oz! From Pioneer.  Same beloved characters & story (closet to the book), different music.  We found it a better alternative to doing a Jr. Show

Maria Stadtmueller 
    St. Augustine School 
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-30-2019 11:26
    We did Wizard of Oz Young Performers Edition from Tams. As stated above, it is set up very similar to the MTI Junior shows. It ran a little over an hour, and included the songs from the movie. It was a big hit! I compared it to the full RSC version and as I remember, primarily the only difference was some of the songs were shorter.

Lisa Emmick
    Music Teacher
    Dallas TX

• 7.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-30-2019 11:35
    Do you know if TAMS has restrictions for High Schools performing "young performers" editions?
    I know we are allowed to do the Jr. versions for MTI...

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan High School

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 8.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-30-2019 11:52
    We are a high school group (9th - 12th) and were approved

Lisa Emmick
    Dallas TX

• 9.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-30-2019 18:37
    We are doing the version through Tams-Witmark - the RSC version is the one that most closely aligns to the movie.  Just finalized our contracts recently for a production in March, 2020.

• 10.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-30-2019 20:37
    Tams-Witmark is the publisher for the popular Wizard of Oz RSC version, that is the one closest to the classic movie. As so many have said - it is a complex musical due to the MANY different scenes.  Other versions that have been suggested might be worth perusing, however, I felt that the audience expects to see and hear the songs from the film. I have directed this version twice, at two different venues, and one of the favorite scenes/songs/dances is "The Jitterbugs" which got cut from the film. It was a worthwhile effort - even had elementary students play the Munchkins. First time we ever sold out every performance!  BTW I find Samuel French musicals to be the most difficult to work with, therefore would only recommend their straight plays.

Best of luck on whichever version you decide to produce.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 11.  RE: Wizard of Oz

Posted 08-31-2019 17:03
    I agree with Valerie. Tams RSC is closest to the movie. The kids and audiences loved the Jitterbug dance scene. We rented one of Kenmarks show package drops to help with the multiple scene changes.
    Do not bother purchasing Tams Rehearsal Aid. It is nothing like Rehearscore.

Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL