Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  VAPA course for special populations

Posted 12-15-2017 20:20
    Hi all,

Our Visual and Performing Arts department provides many opportunities for our special needs students, and we've have great success involving these kids with our choirs, productions, marching band, color guard etc.

We are looking to create (along with our Special Education department) a "wheel" class where we can introduce the special needs kids to all of our disciplines, and assist them with some basics before they move into beginning and intermediate courses.

Hoping someone might have such a course they can share with me, before we begin to create one from scratch.

------------------------------
    Krista Carson Elhai
    CA Educational Theatre Association, President
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA

• 2.  RE: VAPA course for special populations

Posted 12-25-2017 21:56
    I've seen a production by the 4th Wall theatre company, maybe reaching out to them or a similar company will help? They visit schools and I think have lesson plans, but I couldn't find them. This is their website:
    4th Wall Theatre Company * For All Ages & Abilities * Southeast Michigan

But I'm sure there are others like it, I keep seeing more and more about how theatre can help with so many disabilities, it's exciting that you're putting together this resource so you can include more students!

Laurel Reiley
    IN