Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Jetty/Boats in Mamma Mia!

Posted 01-09-2019 09:39
    Hey, everyone!

First time poster here :) I'm directing Mamma Mia! at our school. I know that the rights were only recently released for this title (we're one of the first in the area to perform it), but I wanted to pick some brains on the jetty/boat situation. The script calls for the use of the jetty in several scenes. I wasn't originally planning on incorporating it into the set, mostly due to space issues on stage and/or having to move it on and off. The original plan was just to refer to the jetty and never actually show it. I'm starting to wonder if this is the way to go, however, and if other productions have taken a similar approach.

Thoughts? Feedback?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks!

Maria Beery
    Musical Director
    Northwest High School

------------------------------
    Maria Beery
    English Teacher/Musical Director
    Canal Fulton OH

• 2.  RE: Jetty/Boats in Mamma Mia!

Posted 01-10-2019 10:18
    Our jetty is an extension of the stage Down Left which thrusts out into the house about 3 feet - this balances out the Taverna which sits UPR nicely. If you research Greek islands, you'll find many that have peninsulas with water on both sides - that's our concept on where Donna has built her taverna so that we can play "water" both upstage (to create pretty pictures on the cyc) and in the house (so actors can admire the view but still face out)

Please email me if you'd like to see our student set designer's drawing.

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Theatre Arts Educator
    Westmont High School
    Campbell, CA 95008
    www.WestmontDrama.com

• 3.  RE: Jetty/Boats in Mamma Mia!

Posted 01-11-2019 12:44
    Hi!  I would love to see your student's set design!  thinking of doing the show next spring!
    palassis_m@ohlsd.org
    thanks so much!
    Maria

Maria Palassis
    Drama Club & Thespian Society Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: Jetty/Boats in Mamma Mia!

Posted 01-11-2019 09:07
      |   view attached
    We are also doing it and in mid-rehearsal. You can see our jetty idea attached. The jetty moves off into our shop.

Have fun!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    MamaMia3d.pdf   2.56 MB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Jetty/Boats in Mamma Mia!

Posted 01-11-2019 10:06
    MAria - We are also currently producing it - with every other high school in our area :) lol We are not using a jetty but rather putting things  at the proscenium that look like we are at the bach and then using the DS apron area as our "beach" scenes and the house/taverna is upstage. Happy producing! 

Jan Ewing

Jan Ewing
    Gainesville GA