Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Hanging bare bulbs onstage

Posted 10-23-2017 10:37
    Has anyone ever hung bare bulbs onstage before?  I'd really like to try something like this in my spring show, but I'm not sure how to tackle it. My school is on the smaller side and I don't have a fancy light set up or a light designer at my disposal. I have a simple light board that operates on a wireless Show Baby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!   

------------------------------
    Stephanie Vitulli
    Middle School Theater Director
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 2.  RE: Hanging bare bulbs onstage

Posted 10-24-2017 06:11
    This is fairly simple to do.

You can purchase the sockets and zip cord at a local hardware store, you can make the drops as long as you like and wire them back to a plug.

The question is how do you want to control them, just on/off or dimmed

If on/off they can plug and unplug from a power outlet, if you want them dimmed they will need to go into your dimmers and you will control them as any light.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Hanging bare bulbs onstage

Posted 10-25-2017 14:51
    I love this idea!

Becca Lillias

• 4.  RE: Hanging bare bulbs onstage

Posted 10-26-2017 06:34
    I've been part of a production that has done this before. Ours were higher up than the example from the picture you provided though.  We also had other lighting... 

If you do not have an Edison system to turn them over to dimming you could purchase converters.. below is link to convert from Edison to stage pin, but you get them in other configurations too.  Since the wattage would be low.. you could also potentially twofer or threefer them if you had those adapters as well depending on your dimming situation, and if you don't mind have more than one light per dimmer.. you just need to make sure you know your wattage limit per dimmer.

http://www.lighttheatrics.com/lex-edison-female-to-stage-pin-male/

Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Pittsburgh Brashear High School
    Photography/Theatre
    Pittsburgh Pa

• 5.  RE: Hanging bare bulbs onstage

Posted 10-26-2017 07:49
    I saw Lily Tomlin in Search For Signs of Intelligence Life In the Universe (3 times!) and at the end she walked upstage as the lights dimmed and what looked liked Christmas tree lights came down. As they came down the got brighter then faded. It looked like she was walking off into falling stars. An amazing effect but then, the entire show was amazing.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY