Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 01-30-2019 07:12
    My troupe is presenting Beauty and the Beast in April. I am looking for ideas for how to handle the rose progression through the show.  I need a good sized prop---most I've seen are only about 12 inches and I would prefer something much larger. Also, I am looking for a relatively simple way to make the petals "fall".  All ideas I've seen are very technical.  Maybe I'm dreaming but any ideas from experiences are appreciated. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Julie Dukes
    Drama Teacher
    Clay County FL School District
    Fleming Island FL

• 2.  RE: Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 01-30-2019 09:01
    The hard part will be finding a cloche big enough for your hopes - we couldn't find a serviceable one taller than 14-16 inches.

Rather than engineering the petals to fall, we had at least three separate roses at different stages of progression, and switched them out during the show. We wrapped the roses with light-wire to add to the enchantment factor.

Hope that helps.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 01-30-2019 16:29
    Great info! Thank you!

Julie Dukes
    Drama Teacher
    Clay County FL School District
    Fleming Island FL

• 4.  RE: Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 01-31-2019 11:16
    We dressed a girl dressed in green Leo and tights sitting high on a 3' x 3' box stage right. We made a beautiful 'collar' of tulle petals stiffened with wallpaper paste. Her face indicated the progress in the beasts humanizing and we had her go through the script and decide when exactly she would reach up, grab a petal and slowly let it fall to the floor. We worked the blocking around it but the most effective was when the beast finds Belle about to touch the rose and he screams at her and she runs away. The Rose shook her head a tiny bit and dropped a petal while the Beast looked regretfully after.

Mary Todd Kaercher
    Mound MN

• 5.  RE: Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 02-01-2019 07:43
    I attended a production at a friend's school where they had a beautiful rose that was almost two feet tall. They rented it from Prop Rentals NY, PropRentalsNY.com - Long Island And New York's Best Source For Props!
    Proprentalsny remove preview
    PropRentalsNY.com - Long Island And New York's Best Source For Props!
    Prop Title: Rose Prop Beauty and the Beast Prop Model#: E 001 a-c Details: Base, Dome, 4 Roses, Remote Control Base of Dome is 12" Dia 22' High with Glass Dome The rose drops the final petal via wireless remote control. LED lights in the base are also controlled via the remote.
    View this on Proprentalsny >

Jim Hoare
    Levittown NY

• 6.  RE: Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 02-02-2019 07:56
    For my production, I wanted to include a couple of girls who were dancers but didn't sing or act. They really wanted to be a part of the show. I made one of them the Rose. She was on stage a lot and reacted to the action on stage, particularly when Beast did human/non-human actions. His most "beastly actions" caused her to drop a petal. Petals were material, stiffened with wire, and held onto a belt with magnets. She could easily pluck one or more off and use ballet moves to "let them fall." I made the other girl the Enchantress. She was seen in silhouette in the intro, but then came back at the end to "cause" the transformations at the end. Good luck with your show!

Kevin Welsh
    Auditorium Director
    Columbus IN

• 7.  RE: Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 02-03-2019 03:50
    For our production, we created an electromagnet. We used a low voltage landscape lighting power pack, wired into the back of our "West Wing" through a light switch box, each switch was then wired into our Rose and each petal was a circuit on that light switch. When you turned the light switch off, a petal would drop. we found we needed to diver some of that power from the power pack as at first put magnets were a little too strong, so, we bought a cheap landscape light, frankensteined it into the base of our rose table, and up lit the rose. Once the rose had its glass topper on it, it had the coolest effect of each petal dropping in slow motion. It was magical. 

The project cost about $120, and has become a cool piece to rent to other theatre in our area. And it took about 4 hours to build. It's a fun piece that I thin your techs would have fun creating!

Krystal Myers
    Music Teacher
    Parker Core Knowledge Charter School
    Parker CO

• 8.  RE: Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 02-03-2019 15:23
    We made an effective rose using sewing needles, and black thread.  We just created an appropriate silk rose with LED lights in the base and pre-engineered the petals to fall.  Snake the fishing line and black thread down and through the base and had a tech pull on each line at the appropriate cue.  Little masking tape for labels Back Stage.  It was pretty low tech using sewing needles and thread.  Took about a couple of hours.  

Lots of creative solutions out there.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 9.  RE: Enchanted rose for Beauty and the Beast

Posted 02-03-2019 16:16
    Similar to above, we created a platform/table for the rose to sit on ( and to hide an actor.  We  then ran a piece of flexible copper tubing up through the platform and through the stand into the Globe, then wrapped in in green floral tape to create the stem.  Through the tubing, we ran several thin pieces of wire the went under the platform to be pulled.  At the top we taped the  wires to individual petals. We then gently pulled the wires from below which pulled the petals into a bundle at the top of the "stem" forming the rose head. On cue, my tech would pull a wire, releasing the petal.  Was very effective and pretty simple.  Had several people ask how we did it each show.  I told them "Disney Magic" because I'm mean that way.  Good luck.

T.J. Thomas
    Arvada CO