Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Makeup Camp/College?

Posted 01-06-2017 11:25

Hi,

I have a student who really wants to learn more about theater and film makeup.  Is there a summer camp across the country that teaches that?  Also, are there colleges that are known for particularly good makeup departments?

Thanks for any info you have.

------------------------------
    Kimberly Taylor
    Oakland CA

• 2.  RE: Makeup Camp/College?

Posted 01-07-2017 15:35

In years gone by, UCLA was considered one of the best film makeup colleges in the country.  I don't know if that's still true, but being in the center of Tinsel Town I'd suggest that would be a good place to start.   Some years ago I needed some TV makeup that I couldn't find in Tucson; and since I happened to be visiting an actor friend in San Fernando we did a quick tour of some of the Hollywood makeup studios.  Wow - I couldn't believe all that they could up with. 

Steve Halper
    Theatre Assistant & Co-sponsor
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson, AZ

• 3.  RE: Makeup Camp/College?

Posted 01-08-2017 08:42

Kimberly,  I think my reply went through, but if not, contact me at jfrankstewart@sprintmail.com.  One of my clients is a premiere makeup artist in the film, television and music world and she would be a good person for your student to contact with her questions.  Frank Stewart

Frank Stewart
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Makeup Camp/College?

Posted 01-08-2017 22:36
    Michelle Moss
    Arkansas Chapter Director
    Jonesboro AR

• 5.  RE: Makeup Camp/College?

Posted 01-09-2017 08:24

Hello!

One of my 2014 graduates attended Cosmix last year -(she took some time to work to save money) and she's come back "home" and is helping us with our productions this year.  She also taught workshops at the PA state conference.  Her work is amazing - and I am SO impressed with what she can do!  She has done the glamour work as part of her training - but she has done quite a bit of special effects.  As she would post her "makeup of the day" photos to Facebook, I'd have to look away because some of it was so realistically horrifying! ;-)

I am sure that she'd be happy to talk more with your student - send me a private email, and I'll make sure that I can pass along her contact info directly to you and your student.  But from what I have seen through her work, it is a top-notch program!

Missy

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 6.  Makeup artist

Posted 01-08-2017 08:39
    Kimberly,

One of my clients, Cathy Highland, is a premiere "glamour" makeup artist
    in the motion picture, film and music business. Contact her and tell
    her that Frank suggested it. Her e-mail address is
    catherinemariehighland@gmail.com, but she is copied above. Glamour
    means that she does premiere's, publicity, awards shows. However, she