Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Video camera

Posted 01-03-2017 13:27

Any recommendations on a video camera for a non-tech-savvy theatre teacher with a budget of $300?? I'm looking to record class assessments (group performances) and potentially production performances as well.

Thanks in advance....

------------------------------
    Caleb Thurston
    Woodburn OR

• 2.  RE: Video camera

Posted 01-03-2017 13:43

Caleb,

Two ways I think you could spend that $300.

1) Amazon offers this wonderful bundled kit here: Sony HDR-AS20 Action Video Camera with Wi-Fi, NFC & Full HD 1080p Video (International Version) + NP-BX1 Battery & AC/DC Charger + 10pc 32GB Dlx Accessory Kit w/ HeroFiber Cleaning Cloth

Amazon remove preview
    Sony HDR-AS20 Action Video Camera with Wi-Fi, NFC & Full HD 1080p Video (International Version) + NP-BX1 Battery & AC/DC Charger + 10pc 32GB Dlx Accessory Kit w/ HeroFiber Cleaning Cloth
    View this on Amazon >

Decent camera, offers nifty accessories, and if you're capturing student growth, group performances then it will do that just fine.  As for recording a show (for archival purposes only of course) you could still use that kit although you'd have to invest in a full-size tripod ($25 at Wal-mart).  Larger video cameras jump from $300 into $1,200 fairly quickly--video quality and features are greatly improved, but unless you're teaching a film or cinematography class you won't need all the bells and whistles.

Option 2 would be to invest in a Samsung tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8-Inch Tablet (Wi-Fi)(16 GB, Smoky Titanium) which would provide you with a slew of additional features & apps.  These can certainly be used in the classroom; however, the ability to record readily requires some additional equipment like a special tri-pod tablet adapter like this:Tablet Tripod Mount Adapter iKross 7 - 10.2 inch Tablet Universal Tripod Mount Adapter with 1/4-20 Connector - (12.5-20 cm Adjustable Width)

Amazon remove preview
    Tablet Tripod Mount Adapter iKross 7 - 10.2 inch Tablet Universal Tripod Mount Adapter with 1/4-20 Connector - (12.5-20 cm Adjustable Width)
    View this on Amazon >

In either case, it's not necessarily the quality of the camera that determines the finished product, it's the user and with a little practice you can shoot some awesome quality stuff on a consumer level camera.

I teach both theatre arts and media arts so if you have any other questions, just shoot me an email here: theatreartsteach@gmail.com

Best to you,

Aaron

Aaron Miller
    Troupe #1523 Director
    Tullahoma High School