Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Signing Day

Posted 05-04-2017 17:06
    Have any of you held an annual Arts Signing Day recognizing the students who have been accepted to pursue a major in performing arts or have received scholarships related to performing arts? We are throwing one together this year between fine and performing arts, roughly modeled after our schools athletic signing day. Wondering what others have done. Also, we have an annual ceremony recognizing seniors for academic achievements. It includes several athletic related academic awards. I know that scholar thespians are recognized by ITS. Wondering if any of you have incorporated arts scholars into a school-wide event like a senior academic awards night?

------------------------------
    Cathy Swain-Abrams
    Teacher, Drama Director
    Olentangy Local School District
    Lewis Center OH

• 2.  RE: Signing Day

Posted 05-05-2017 06:59
    What are you having them sign?

• 3.  RE: Signing Day

Posted 05-05-2017 08:02
    We have considered it. We have so many students commit to major Theatre & Musical Theatre collegiate programs around the country, why not do it? All the athletes do! And frankly - it's a formality. They usually "sign" a blank piece of paper. : )

Denise Johnson
    Director/Choreographer
    Greensboro Day School
    AEA, SAG/AFTRA

• 4.  RE: Signing Day

Posted 05-05-2017 09:34
    I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!

I wish I had the time to plan it for this year. Maybe next. (:

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 5.  RE: Signing Day

Posted 05-05-2017 10:42
    We have done signings in the past for students who receive large scale scholarships to study theatre. At our school athletic (and any other) signings happen more individual or in small groups usually during lunch with a celebration for the department and/or team, parents of the student, and media.  Yes we have done them for theatre students but only if it involves a large scholarship to study theatre, which is the same for athletes or any other signings. We have had the theatre students sign a printed document with their scholarship parameters on it and if possibly have a representative from their college or alumni from the college present to represent the school.

We absolutely recognize Honor and Scholar Thespians at our Senior Recognition event. This is when all of the seniors receive their recognition and awards from honors organizations on campus like Beta, National Honor Society, and International Thespian Society. This is also an event where scholarships are sometimes recognized. For thespians, at senior recognition we not only give our the Honor and Scholar awards, which we use stoles, pins, cords, and medals for (depending on the level of their recognition) but we also recognize smaller college scholarships and local arts scholarships that aren't tied to a specific college (for instance our Thespian District does a scholarship program each year). 

At our school, the arts programs are recognized as often as the athletic programs. Particularly our Culinary, Band, and Theatre programs are highly regarded. We don't necessarily receive the funding that athletics do, but we do receive similar respect and recognition in other areas. International Thespian Society is actually one of the largest and most active organizations on our campus and pretty highly regarded. It's cool and special and wasn't something that was treated this way when I was in high school so I'm proud to be a part of it now.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 6.  RE: Signing Day

Posted 05-08-2017 10:49
    Great Idea,  Obviously everyone should figure out what would work in their own school situation, but very cool!!!

I have such great theatre neighbors!  GO central Area Ohio Thespians!!!  Kathy - yer so awesome!!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 7.  RE: Signing Day

Posted 05-09-2017 01:31
    I love this idea! It'd be even better if there was an Arts and Athletics Signing Day. Hmmm...one can dream.

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 8.  RE: Signing Day

Posted 09-29-2017 11:08
    We held our inaugural Fine Arts Signing Day last April and will hold our next one Wednesday, April 25, 2018.  Our first was very successful and we were able to get a reporter and photographer from the local press.  The story first appeared online and a friend of mine shared it on Facebook.

This week, I created a page in Facebook, National Fine Arts Signing Day, and have had some drama directors like the page and say that they will be hosting theirs on the same day.

Jerry Seeger
    Director Of Drama
    Plantation FL