Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Different Versions of Pirates of Penzance

Posted 04-02-2019 12:50
    Hi all,
    Pirates of Penzance as come up as a possibility in next year's season. Seems like everyone has a version of it mostly with reorchestrations. Do people have opinions on which is the best? And beyond that, are they that much better to justify not just doing the original rights-free version (assuming I can find all the instrumentation). 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 2.  RE: Different Versions of Pirates of Penzance

Posted 04-02-2019 15:46
    This topic actually came up a last week.  Here is a link to that conversation.  

https://www.schooltheatre.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=133&MessageKey=360efd39-2692-4900-8ddc-92d73edec970&CommunityKey=35d3756e-031c-447e-a020-14aeb57718f1&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2fcommunities%2fcommunity-home%2fdigestviewer%3fcommunitykey%3d35d3756e-031c-447e-a020-14aeb57718f1%26tab%3ddigestviewer

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 3.  RE: Different Versions of Pirates of Penzance

Posted 04-03-2019 08:14
    Also interested in this!!

Maria Palassis
    Drama Club & Thespian Society Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: Different Versions of Pirates of Penzance

Posted 04-04-2019 07:12
    I came upon a version of it on YouTube called PIRATES OF PENZANCE REMIX several years ago. I did a little research on it and it seems to be licensed out of Australia. Most of the original material was there and it still requires legit voices for the leads but they had gitched it up a notch and somehow infused it with more energy. Forgive me for not being more specific but it was some years ago and I abandoned the project. Check it out.

Charles Clute
    retired
    Chatham MA