Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help! I need a working door on wheels!

Posted 09-24-2017 09:21
    I need to build a working door on wheels which is stable, can stand on its own, remain in place when actors enter and exit through it and rotate so both sides of the door can be used and moved about the stage.
    Can someone point me to some resources?
    Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Help! I need a working door on wheels!

Posted 09-24-2017 13:53
    I just Googled "door on wheels theatre" and found several sources. Hope that helps.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Help! I need a working door on wheels!

Posted 09-25-2017 09:18
    I gave the task to my school's construction class and they came through for us quite nicely. We've used the door for multiple productions. Message me your email address if you'd like and I can send some photos.

---------------------------------
    Jeremy Williams

Adel GA
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Help! I need a working door on wheels!

Posted 09-25-2017 11:00
    I've put the door on a platform that was on castors in the past. Worked well and created a nice level change whenever the actors were entering or exiting. Just make sure the castors both rotate and lock.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Help! I need a working door on wheels!

Posted 09-27-2017 23:48
    Hi Rebecca

At NIU, we have a Meisner acting program . . .so they need movable doors that can handle a beating.  We have found that building a door unit that rests directly on the floor gives a nice solid base with no movement when actors use the base or the door (casters never ever lock down enough. . .there is always movement).  We then inset two rigid casters into one of the side edges of the base, making a "tippable" door frame.  To move it, close the door, grab one side of the frame and tilt it up onto the two rigid casters, and wheel it around like a hand truck.

Hope this helps :-)

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois