Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Suggestions for 1-Acts for my freshmen

Posted 02-16-2020 21:07
    18 years of teaching English/ESL - We moved. There was a desperate need for a theater program at my new school.  I needed a change, so here I am --> Newbie theater teacher/director and learning as I go! 

I work at a small K-12 school that is very supportive of our new program.  I have a small group of freshmen girls and one boy who have worked their tails off the past several years at the local Arts Center and at school.  They have grown by leaps and bounds on stage, but they have mostly been in musicals and comedy pieces.  Last semester we tackled Our Town at the local Arts Center (I was staging Elf Jr at our school.), and they were AMAZING!  

I want to find some one-acts for them that would let them dig into more complex characters (in a comedy or drama).  I'm a little more comfortable with one-acts, but I would look at longer pieces too.  No musicals

Looking for something that:

*would let them play characters closer to their age if possible
    *would be acceptable in a K-12 environment if we can (or at least be acceptable for upper elementary)
    *does not have a complex set - I'm limited with what I can do.  We are working on that ....
    *has at least 3 strong female characters

I would even LOVE to even dig into older pieces (they speak to my English teacher heart).  I adore The Miracle Worker and The Glass Menagerie, but I don't think there's enough of the roles there that I need for them.  I am looking at Little Women, of course.  So - something similar?  but I'm totally good with modern pieces too!

I LOVE to look at suggestions!

------------------------------
    Tracye Couture
    English/Oral Communications/Theater Teacher
    Thespian Troupe #8889
    El Dorado, AR

• 2.  RE: Suggestions for 1-Acts for my freshmen

Posted 02-17-2020 08:19
    There are one act plays based on literature such as The Lottery, Bernice Bobs her Hair, and The Monkey's Paw. You might consider one of these. The characters in Bernice are all around 18.

Shawn Sears
    Miami FL

• 3.  RE: Suggestions for 1-Acts for my freshmen

Posted 02-18-2020 06:11
    Check out Once Upon A Playground and Of Poems, Youth and Spring. Both one acts are heavy female and character driven. Good luck!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Suggestions for 1-Acts for my freshmen

Posted 02-18-2020 09:55
    There are some great one act versions of various Shakespeare pieces. We also had a lot of fun with Chairs from YouthPlays (I can't remember who wrote it). 

I'd recommend looking on Playscripts for options. Once you create an account you can read the majority of the scripts you might be interested in to see if they will work for you.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Suggestions for 1-Acts for my freshmen

Posted 02-20-2020 08:24
    Hi Trayce-
    I am always in search of one-acts that appeal to my students but are not baby-ish. I teach theater in a MS, so there is a tough line between not baby-ish and inappropriate for the grade level. I used  16 In Ten Minutes or Less by Bradley Hayward, and it was really great. You can use a flexible cast and all the scenes are meaningful to the kids. Each one is around 10-15 minutes a piece. Below are other pieces I have done so far ( we made the switch from 2 musicals a year to a drama and a musical per year, so I am constantly searching for ideas as well.)
    • We Are Masks by Lindsey Price
    • The Redemption of Gertie Green by Taryn Temple

Melissa Jackson
    Burlington Township Middle School at Springside
    Chesterfield NJ

• 6.  RE: Suggestions for 1-Acts for my freshmen

Posted 02-22-2020 14:49
    Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions!  You've given me a lot to think about!

Tracye Couture
    El Dorado AR

• 7.  RE: Suggestions for 1-Acts for my freshmen

Posted 02-23-2020 15:04
    Tracye, Susan Glaspell's Trifles might be a good one for you to look at.  It has a cast of 3 men and 2 women.  I think it would be fun to do with 3 girls playing breeches parts (as men) since the whole point is how the women are disregarded.

It was written in 1916, so is in the public domain.  I have a document with it formatted to make 4 1/4 X 5 1/2" scripts I could send you.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: Suggestions for 1-Acts for my freshmen

Posted 02-24-2020 08:30
    Thanks for mentioning Trifles. Susan Glaspell is so overlooked and she was such a good writer. She also wrote Trifles as a short story called A Jury of Her Peers. I use both to show students the difference between constructing a short story vs a play--transitioning from telling to showing. I don't know which came first. She was a Pulitzer Prize winner and founder of the Provincetown Players where Eugene O'Neill got his start.

Jean Klein
    Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA