Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Arts Director/Teaching Responsibilities

Posted 01-17-2017 12:32
    I'm trying to figure out what the "norm" is for teaching loads for arts directors (a person who oversees the development of all the fine and performing arts for a school). Are any of you in administrative positions and also teach drama classes, or is it unreasonable to expect a department director to take on teaching duties? 

------------------------------
    Maralie Medlin
    Theatre Arts Educator
    Gastonia, NC

• 2.  RE: Arts Director/Teaching Responsibilities

Posted 01-18-2017 07:55
    I am chair of the Studio and Performing Arts Department at my school (private, grades 6 to 12, 560 students). My contract calls for me to direct all productions (3 per year), advise the drama club, produce 10 concerts per year and teach 4 classes (2 upper school theater classes, a middle school theater class, and 1 public speaking class). This is in addition to the administrative aspects of the job - observing/evaluating both visual and performing arts faculty (5 full-time and 4 part-time), serving on the academic council, planning curriculum and serving on the admissions committee. In truth, I rarely actually have a full schedule of 4 classes.  For a variety of reasons, including enrollment, a challenging daily schedule that doesn't allow students to take a lot of electives  and a minimal graduation requirement of one year in either studio or performing arts, I usually wind up with only 3 classes each year.  Hope this is helpful.

Susan Speidel Chairman of Studio & Performing Arts Morristown-Beard School NJ

• 3.  RE: Arts Director/Teaching Responsibilities

Posted 01-18-2017 07:59
    I teach 4 classes a day. Right now, they are all an "Intro to Theatre" model, as 90% of the students in my classes were assigned there against their will. Next year, I will have two "Intro to Theatre,' one "Drama One" (intro to acting) and one "Advanced Drama" (audition or teacher permission only). In addition I currently direct a play and a musical, in addition to doing four "Open Mic Night" fundraisers a year, and I am in charge of providing entertainment for our Parent Booster Club fundraiser.

I should mention that the only reason I teach 4 instead of 5 classes is that my directing of the shows counts as a 7th period class. The students must accumulate 60 hours of work (cast and crew, which I must track and grade) in order to earn 5 credits. Students can opt out of the credit and earn community service hours...which I must also track and grade.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA