Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Intro to Theatre Alternative Structures

Posted 12-17-2019 11:25
    I am interested in the different ways high school teachers organize a level 1 or intro to theatre class.

A little background:
    My Introduction to Theatre class has always been a year-long survey of all the collaborators in theatre with a related project at the end of each unit (i.e.- Actor= Scenes, Designer= Rendering, Playwright= 10 Page play and so on). I intersperse theater history and integrate text analysis as well as live performance response and analysis. A few of the projects change based on the group's interests, but this format has served my students very well. 

Next school year I have the go-ahead for dual enrollment theatre classes with our community college. Yay! The students (Juniors and Seniors) will take 2 semester-long classes: Theatre Appreciation and Acting I, and receive college and honors credit. The students must be enrolled in both classes.  The college's Theatre Appreciation is structured very similarly to my current Intro class.

So the question is, how can I differentiate the two classes so when my intro students get to Theatre Appreciation it isn't just the same class with more advanced assignments and higher expectations. Does anyone teach an intro level class with an alternative structure? I am trying to keep it a blend of performance, history, and production, but otherwise, I am open to an overhaul or small adjustments. 

------------------------------
    Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 2.  RE: Intro to Theatre Alternative Structures

Posted 12-19-2019 13:50
    Hi Elana! Here are some past threads that might help you brainstorm ideas, or at least connect you with others who have a similar situation:

Curriculum: Introduction to Theatre

Expanding Theatre Curriculum

Intro Classes

Intro to Theatre Activities for a large class

Theatre Curriculum

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Intro to Theatre Alternative Structures

Posted 12-19-2019 15:22
    Hi Elana,
    I'm curious why it would be bad to be the same class with advanced material and higher expectations.  To me, that's what the study of any art form is...well really any subject.  Especially a subject that builds on prior knowledge in the content area.  My Acting I students do a simple short duet scene, my Acting II students do a short piece of literature.  Look for where you can "level up".  For example, maybe in Intro it's a straight forward play for analysis and projects and in Appreciation it's Shakespeare or Comedia.  It would depend on what your program looks like, but I think a solid case could be made for the courses looking similar in structure but different in content.  A beginning Choir doesn't look too different from and Advanced Choir with the exception of level of literature and higher expectations.  
    Best!
    Amy

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO