Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  (Prop) Tommy Gun for CHICAGO

Posted 03-13-2018 19:46
    Who among you has used a (prop) tommy gun for your productions of CHICAGO? Do you still have it? Did you rent/purchase it somewhere?

------------------------------
    Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 2.  RE: (Prop) Tommy Gun for CHICAGO

Posted 03-13-2018 21:00
    The best place I have found to rent weapons exclusively for theatrical use is Weapons of Choice in Napa, CA. They have two models of the Thompson "tommy" gun. Their web site is weaponsofchoice.com

One of the things I like about them is the amount of additional information (weapon handling, safety, etc.) on their web site, which can be found in the Extras tab on their menu.

You may not be able to visit them from your school computer, since many schools block words like "weapon."

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: (Prop) Tommy Gun for CHICAGO

Posted 03-14-2018 08:03
    Shockingly, I was able to access this website on my school server. But probably not later today after it goes through their vetting process.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: (Prop) Tommy Gun for CHICAGO

Posted 03-14-2018 09:19
    I've used this place (Toy Arsenal) for both silly plastic cap guns for acting class (all-boys school, they love them!) and for heavy duty guns.  Not sure if they have a tommy gun but it would be worth a shot. They are my go-to.  Good luck!
    Toyarsenal remove preview
    TOY ARSENAL: Cowboy Toy Cap Guns, Western Toy Guns, Army Toy Machine Guns
    Buy 1 Get 1 Free. Free Shipping, large selection of Military and Toy Cowboy Cap Guns, Cap Rifles, Toy Guns for kids and adults, Toy Rifles, Toy Machine Guns, prop Guns, Replica Guns, Roll Caps, Holster Sets
    View this on Toyarsenal >
    for both

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    Troup 5596, I.T.S.
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 5.  RE: (Prop) Tommy Gun for CHICAGO

Posted 03-14-2018 10:14
    Hi, we just did Bonnie & Clyde in December, and we MADE our own Tommy Guns out of foam, cereal boxes, and PVC pipe.  With some paint and black duct tape, they looked SUPER real on stage.  They cost next to nothing to make, the kids enjoyed making them, and they looked great!  They are a bit light, so kids will need to practice with them so they look heavier/more realistic.
    We also did something at the start of the show to make audiences feel comfortable in light of all the gun violence happening nowadays.  During the curtain speech, we brought the prop guns out, told the audience what they were made of and even fired a cap gun so that the audience would know what to listen for.  Our admin was supportive of this, and the parents and audience members were really amazed at how real the foam Tommy Guns looked.  There's even a great YouTube video on how to make them :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 6.  RE: (Prop) Tommy Gun for CHICAGO

Posted 03-14-2018 13:09
    I bought a cheap one around halloween and spray-painted it for the style we were doing.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA Educational Theatre Association/ Virginia Thespians
    Artistic Director- NKHS Trojan Theatre, Kent England Exchange Partnership Production
    VCU BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08, University of Houston - MA Theatre '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski