Open Forum

View Only

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

• 1.  25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-24-2017 13:21
    I am strongly considering 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee for my musical next year.  I do not have a strong orchestra, and I am wanting to do a show that I can either easily do with a track or do with only piano accompaniment.  I was looking at the orchestration for the show on MTI's website and it looks very minimal.  I see reed, percussion, cello, and synthesizer.  Who has done the show before?  How did you handle the orchestration?  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 2.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 05:55
    We did it with piano and drums.

• 3.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 06:59
    We did it a few years back with just the piano. Was very successful.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 07:07
    We just wrapped on a production of Spelling Bee - our pit band was on the bigger side, but opted for just piano on several songs. It was quite successful. If you can pull off piano and drums (maybe a synth too!), I think you'd be fine. My one caution : some of the music is deceivinglily difficult. The show has a 'pop' sound, but is musically quite sophisticated in places. Be sure your pianist is up for it! Good luck!!!

Jake Miller
    Department of Theatre
    Germantown Friends School
    Philadelphia PA

• 5.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 07:39
    We just wrapped up a very successful production using canned tracks, as we do not have an orchestra at our school. The tracks were from The MT Pit and were of very good quality.

Lori Zyla
    Parkersburg WV

• 6.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 08:22
    I directed a very successful production is Spelling Bee a few years ago. I usually hate to use pre-recorded tracks but ended up using the racks from MT Pit and they were very richly orchestrated and very easy to use!

Denise Johnson
    Director/Choreographer
    Greensboro Day School
    AEA, SAG/AFTRA

• 7.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 10:06
    I mounted the show with two keyboards and percussion, and everything worked out just fine. More than fine, actually. The musicians had their own spot downstage, and we created levels for them.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 10:22
    Thanks for all the feedback!  I hired an accompanist for our musical this year with great success, and if I go with live music, I will hire a professional again.  It might break down to what ends up being most cost effective between hiring someone and purchasing the track from MT Pit.  I haven't used that company before (just finishing my second year), but I have heard lots of good things.

Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 9.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 10:53
    I am in production now with one piano. The accompanist works well for Marcy's bit of sitting down and playing during "I Speak 6 Languages."

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 10.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-25-2017 16:43
    We did this show last month with piano, drums, reeds, and synth.  It worked beautifully!  We also ordered the RehearseScore Plus for rehearsals.

Jennifer Magon
    Theatre Teacher
    Santa Clarita, CA

• 11.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 05-26-2017 06:54
    I just closed this show 3 days ago. We used piano, percussion and woodwinds. 

Susan Sterman-Jones
    Grace Church School, NYC
    --
    Susan Sterman-Jones
    MS Drama 

• 12.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 08-02-2017 15:04
    Hijacking -- how many people were you able to put in your productions, and how did you handle the more mature language and content? Thanks!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 13.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 08-04-2017 07:50
    I love this show and directed it twice. Both times I have altered the language to not offend the audience. MTI offers alternative lyrics for the Erection song AKA Chip's Lament.  It is my unfortunate "distraction".   Also the GD's could be changed to "Gosh darnet"  and the JC's to "Jeezum Crow" (ala Almost, Maine).

Have fun!

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach HS
    Columbia, MD

• 14.  RE: 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Music

Posted 08-16-2017 10:30
    Hello:

We did this musical last year and everybody loved it. We used the pre-recorded tracks that we bought to rehearse. They call it Rehearscore. It doesn't sound as great as a live band, but I teach at a very small school and there is no band. It worked great.

On the other topic, the kids said "Gosh Dangit" instead of "God damn it" and "For crying out loud" instead of "Jesus Christ". We also used the alternative version of Chip's Lament, which says "My unfortunate distraction" instead of the original.

I hope this helps.

Karla Marcano Miranda
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Robinson School
    San Juan