Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-16-2017 11:59
    I would like to teach a 8th grade class focused on devised work. However, my admin won't get the word devised and I want something catchy for the kids as they sign up as an elective. Any ideas for a title that is understandable and would make an 8th grader want to take the class.

------------------------------
    Shelby Burton
    Chicago IL

• 2.  RE: Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-17-2017 09:39
    I teach devised work after students have written a lot of simple sketches and even a one act play in class. It also comes after basics in performance based improv., pantomime, and Laban. I feel like all of those feed the students' ability to really play in devised work. So for a title maybe something like acting beyond basics, which might translate into this will be fun but is also for those really ready to dig in. Of course ensemble theatre creation or group theatre creation, which is what devised essentially is, might work well too. Again I think sharing that this is both fun and for those truly interested is key. Devised work for people who aren't really into it is challenging I find, as they don't want to play and it can be frustrating to students who do.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida State Junior Thespians
    District 10 Chair

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 3.  RE: Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-17-2017 10:49
    Are you doing physical methodology for your devised work? If so you might try something like: Physical Theatre: Creating New Stories Through Movement and Ensemble Work.

It's a tough sell at any level if they don't know what it is.  If you can get the first group going though, they will know what it is through word-of-mouth and it will sell itself.
    --
    Sent from Gmail Mobile

• 4.  RE: Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-18-2017 09:53
    Sounds like you need to make it sound sexy (in a middle-school sort of way). Here's a few free associated titles. You can create your own clarifying subtitles if you like any of these. I agree that word- of mouth is the best marketing for your class!

Collaboration Imagination
    Creative Collaboration
    Theater Now!
    Ensemble Creators
    Creation: Theater!
    Total Theater
    Ensemble Design
    Designing Theater
    Collaborative Design Theater
    Play-ing with Theater
    Ensemble Play
    Ensemble Devising
    Devising Theater
    Physical Storytelling

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 5.  RE: Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-19-2017 21:02
    Jennifer shared a few that I was thinking of, and I totally agree that a 'sexy' name would help, but word of mouth will be how it continues an upward trajectory. 

Fun with Drama
    Play Your Story
    DIY Theatre (I don't know if "DIY" is an English term or American term, anymore. for 'do It Yourself". I'm so culturally confused)
    Cave Dwelling (I dunno, it might be like, wow, what's cave dwelling? And you can be like, well, the earliest human beings shared stories dwelling in caves...it's a little bit of a stretch)
    Finding Story (see what I did there?)
    The Incredibles Stories (ok now I'm just recycling Disney titles)
    TheatreFormers: More Than Meets the Eye (a play on Transformers)

What do middle school kids even like anymore? Maybe find a hot property and do a play on its most popular phrase? 

I think Jennifer's suggestions are probably more practical and precise. But I do like 'Play Your Story'. At one point I typed out 'Playing with Your Selves' but realized quickly that there was an error in that formulation.

Good luck!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 6.  RE: Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-20-2017 08:32
    I got the sense from the original post that the goal was to come up with a title that sold the class to administrators, therefore I think Jennifer was wise in her suggestions to focus on words like "collaboration" and "design," which are hot topics in education right now (never mind that they've been a part of theatre forever and educators in other disciplines are just catching up, right?).  Other words that en vogue right now..."innovation," "project-based learning," or even "maker."  Could you make use of any of these (very relevant) buzzwords?  ("Collaborative story-makers?")

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 7.  RE: Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-21-2017 10:13
    Piggybacking on Ryan's suggestions, how about "Playmakers"?  

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 8.  RE: Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-21-2017 10:51
    I would also recommend the k.i.s.s. method for your admin. Maybe something like C.A.T. or Collaboration And Theatre. (my district is a firm believer in alphabet soup, so...)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Catchy Name for Devised Work

Posted 09-21-2017 13:48
    "Collaborative Play: The Growth Mindset"? That's the current buzz-phrase.

Thanks for keeping me in line, Ryan. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON