Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  12 Angry Jurors

Posted 03-03-2017 22:04
    I am thinking of doing "Twelve Angry Jurors" for the spring play.  I think it's timely and it will round out our season nicely.  I have looked for the script and royalty information and can not find it.  Dramatic Publishing has "12 Angry Men" and "12 Angry Women" but not "12 Angry Jurors."

Has anyone done this play?  If so, who holds the rights?

THANKS!  

• 2.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 03-04-2017 07:35

The original title is "Twelve Angry Men". When it is performed with a mixed gender cast it is called "Twelve Angry Jurors". The scripts however are either ...Men or ...Women. When we produced it we simply purchased some of each and assigned the gender appropriate line.

Peace and blessings,

Tamara Plasterer
    Director of Vocal Music & Theatre - Department Chair /Fine Arts
    Padua Franciscan High School
    tplasterer@paduafranciscan.com
    P 440.845.2444 x145
    F 440.845.5710
    6740 State Road Parma, OH 44134

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at (440) 845-2444 to arrange the return of the original document to me. Please also delete the message from your computer.

• 3.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 03-05-2017 22:02
    Thank you all so much - now I can proceed!

• 4.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 03-04-2017 10:42
    Yes, the publisher has notes in either script on the protocol for mixed-gender casting on this show. It is relatively simple, but there are some moments that are gender specific. Also, the pages do not match up in the two versions which is not a big deal, but can confuse rehearsals before you're off book.

If you need help with the knife portion, let me know since building them to stick properly can get tricky.

Yours in Art,

Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 5.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 03-04-2017 12:05

I did the show this fall - I ordered copies of 12 Angry Men for all my actors & 1 copy of 12 Angry Women to use to adjust lines. In all honesty, aside from changing pronouns & and a few wife/husband references, we changed very little from the "Men" script in our production.

• 6.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 03-04-2017 20:44
    Hello,

From what I have read in researching Twelve Angry Jurors (I have not directed it), I do not think, but I could be mistaken, that there is a separate script.  The recommendation is to combine the scripts for Twelve Angry Men and Twelve Angry Women.  You would choose the lines that work best for the casting you have chosen.  Hope this helps.

Ken Robinson

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 7.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 06-14-2018 12:39
    Hi, folks.  I'm reviving a conversation from last year because I am a board member of a company doing Twelve Angry Jurors in October. 

Samuel French appears to have performance rights to the original teleplay, published by Penguin/Random House.

Dramatic Publishing has scripts adapted by Christopher Sergel.

Which was the publishing company that gave you permission to change the gender of jurors?

CJ

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 06-14-2018 13:00
    Thanks for checking! Dramatic Publishing controls amateur licensing for this title.

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY