Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Letters to Sala Flier Drop Help!

Posted 01-17-2020 14:40
    Hi all - 
    I'm currently in rehearsal for Letters to Sala and had a question for you all regarding the flier drop at the end of the show (leaflets announcing Germany's surrender). Pages are supposed to come down over the stage itself as well as the audience...
    Well, our stage is "weird". We have a small thrust that extends out past the proscenium arch (about 13 feet past the opening) and out past the opening itself towards stage right and stage left. We have no grid above the stage for people to access (well, we do, but it's NOT SAFE for students), and our fly system is functionally null; we have two battons that only hand winch down to 12 foot above the stage. Ah, the joys of a WPA built school... ;)
    I've got the action basically forced downstage of the arch, so there is no real way to get the effect of something falling from above. I do have a "tower" that has guards on it mid stage center - it's only 4 feet high because that's as high as they'll let me build it. It is placed upstage of the proscenium, and so would be able to have something come from the fly space above.
    I should mention I do have the winch rig platform backstage right, about 12 feet high. 
    So all you brilliant problem solvers... help! How would I go about rigging up something to be able to have the effect of the letters falling from above? Would letters and a fan from that winch platform work? Or is there a solution that would have a better effect?

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Kott
    Port Washington NY

• 2.  RE: Letters to Sala Flier Drop Help!

Posted 01-18-2020 08:02
    We did the 60-minute cutting of Sala as a class project last year.  I also did not have the ability to have the fliers drop.  I'm not sure if the sequencing of scenes is the same with the full-length version but in the one we did the flier scene followed Sala's dream where letters were being thrown at her in her sleep.  We used this scene to scatter the paper about the stage and then the scene went immediately into the flier scene and it looked as if they had been dropped everywhere.  We still had actors looking above at the planes and then altered the dialogue slightly.  It worked really well but only if the full-length is sequenced the same.

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ

• 3.  RE: Letters to Sala Flier Drop Help!

Posted 01-18-2020 08:59

We built a drop box last year that could be hung over the stage and then ran a rope with a small pulley to the side of the stage so it could be controlled from someone in the wing. Super easy!

Sarah Serbus
    Theatre Director
    Union R-XI School District
    Union MO

• 4.  RE: Letters to Sala Flier Drop Help!

Posted 01-18-2020 20:04
    Hello, Elizabeth --
    Playwright Arlene Hutton here. I've reached out to Eric Nightengale who directed LETTERS TO SALA at several colleges while the script was in development as well as directing it at Stagedoor Manor and the post-publication production off-off-Broadway. He may have some ideas for you. (Eric also directed the workshop of the EdTA-commissioned SUSIE SITS SHIVA at the most recent Thespian conference in Nebraska.) I'll post again if he has any thoughts other than the one here.
    As Laura Russo mentioned in another post, the LETTERS TO SALA scene with the papers dropping from the sky comes immediately following the scene where Young Sala dreams of all the women handing her letters saying "write to me." The sequence is the same in both the short and full version of the play. It's simple for the women to have letters that Sala collects from them and papers to drop on the floor. As Laura Russo suggests, the characters running on from the camp can look up at the sky as if the papers were still coming down. You might add a sound effect of planes flying. It's all in the staging and acting; you don't need to actually drop papers from above.
    If you're interested I have an updated script from the New York production that swaps out the second birthday party for a Shabbot scene, short and effective. I'm happy to send it to you; it's a good demonstration of how long a new play may still be in development.
    Thanks for producing LETTERS TO SALA. Please let me know if there is anything you need from me. And know that Sala's daughter Ann is usually available to Skype or FaceTime with student groups. i'm happy to put her in touch with you. arlene@barrowgroup.org
    Please give my best to your cast and crew.

Arlene Hutton, playwright
    Letters to Sala
    I Dream Before I Take the Stand
    Kissed the Girls & Made Them Cry
    As It Is In Heaven
    Susie Sits Shiva (EdTA commission)

faculty, The Barrow Group, NYC
    arlene@barrowgroup.org

• 5.  RE: Letters to Sala Flier Drop Help!

Posted 01-19-2020 08:28
    Hi Elizabeth,
    We had the women onstage, having heard the planes fly over, freeze, in terror, while the men in the cast walked among them, scattering the fliers around them. The presence of those men, not making eye contact with any of the women, created tension which, by contrast, made the release even more chilling. In a production that was devoid of theatrical effects, this was a simple way to keep the audience focused on the lives of the women in the camp. Good luck with your production. It was a great experience for all who were involved, and for our audiences.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA