Open Forum

View Only

LETTERS TO SALA online event for Holocaust Remembrance Day

• 1.  LETTERS TO SALA online event for Holocaust Remembrance Day

Posted 04-16-2020 20:23
    Many thanks to the more than 130 schools which have produced LETTERS TO SALA, published by Dramatists Play Service. Please share information about this event with your students who have been part of these productions. Some photos of your productions may be featured, along with photos of Bronx Science students viewing the letters at the New York Public Library.
    If anyone wants an updated copy of the script of LETTERS TO SALA, please email me a request at arlene@barrowgroup.org and I'll be happy to send you a pdf.

LETTERS TO SALA: Holocaust Remembrance Day

This year, no one will attend an in-person Holocaust Remembrance Day (Yom Hashoah) gathering.  Without being able to stand together, how do we inspire our community for Yom Hashoah 2020?  

Join us at 6p ET on April 20 for this unique event, livestreamed on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Links below.

Ann Kirschner, author of Sala's Gift: My Mother's Holocaust Story, and Jill Vexler, museum curator, will serve as co-hosts.

Confirmed speakers include David Ferriero, Archivist of the United States; and Michael Berenbaum, scholar of the Holocaust. 

Background: In 1991, Sala Garncarz Kirschner revealed to daughter Ann the existence of over 350 letters, documents, and photographs that she saved during the five years she spent in Nazi slave labor camps. This archive is a unique and historically important lens into a lesser-known aspect of the Holocaust, slave labor camps, as experienced by a Polish-Jewish teenager, her family, her friends.  

The archive was donated to the New York Public Library in 2004. Since then, it has become the subject of numerous creative projects, beginning with the NYPL exhibition LETTERS TO SALA, curated by Jill Vexler. The exhibition traveled extensively throughout the United States and eastern Europe.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg spoke at the opening of the exhibition in Washington DC. The exhibition is currently installed at the East End synagogue in downtown NYC. Ann Kirschner published SALA'S GIFT in 2006, which has also been translated into Polish, German, Italy, French, Czech, and Mandarin. Playwright Arlene Hutton authored the play LETTERS TO SALA, which has been produced by over 130 drama departments at high schools and colleges and regional theatre companies, as well as an off-Broadway production in 2016, directed by Eric Nightengale. Filmmakers Eddie Marritz and Tim Messler are currently editing a documentary film, SALA'S LETTERS.  

This event will be produced by an experienced team led by Sree Srinivasan, a leading consultant, speaker and trainer for nonprofits, corporations, startups and executives. Sree was previously Chief Digital Officer of major institutions in multiple industries: City of New York (working at City Hall); Columbia University (working on the future of education); and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Before joining the Met, he spent 20 years as a full-time professor at Columbia Journalism School. In the last year, he and his team have worked with clients in the US, UK, UAE, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, India and Canada.

HERE ARE THE LINKS TO TUNE IN:

APRIL 20 at 6p

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube

LinkedIn

------------------------------
    Arlene Hutton, playwright
    Letters to Sala
    I Dream Before I Take the Stand
    Kissed the Girls & Made Them Cry
    As It Is In Heaven