Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays of monologues

Posted 09-13-2017 16:28
    Hi all! My intermediate drama class will be finishing up their monologue unit in a couple of weeks. Because I want the class to be a mix of performance and literature study, I'm trying to find a play for them to study that is made up of mostly monologues. I looked at "Runaways," but I don't want to start with music. "Waiting for the Parade" was a favorite of mine from high school, but the class is split pretty evenly along gender lines, and I want the boys to be as involved as the girls.

Any title suggestions?

------------------------------
    Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 2.  RE: Plays of monologues

Posted 09-13-2017 17:02
    Both And by Alan Haehnel and Voices In Conflict by Bonnie Dickinson are mostly monologues. If I remember correctly there is a single scene in each

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Plays of monologues

Posted 09-13-2017 18:59
    You might want to look at The Monologue Show (From Hell), there's both a one-act and full-length version. Published by playscripts.

https://www.playscripts.com/play/2942

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 4.  RE: Plays of monologues

Posted 09-13-2017 19:52
    Perhaps Fires in the Mirror or Twilight: Los Angeles by Anna Deavere Smith? Both are a serious of interconnected monologues taken verbatim from interviews of local people involved in a clash of cultures (I hope that does justice to the works!).

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Plays of monologues

Posted 09-14-2017 03:22
    Hi, 
    I would also suggest Women and War by Jack Hilton Cunningham at Sam French, What I Want to Say But Never Will & The Long View by Alan Haehnel at Playscripts.  

Sounds like a wonderful unit!  

Carolyn

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Kentucky Thespians

• 6.  RE: Plays of monologues

Posted 09-14-2017 07:01
    SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY is an oldie but goodie that is all monologues. You can double up on the casting if necessary for your class and give students experience in voice acting. Show was originally meant to be a small cast.  And THE LARAMIE PROJECT which deals with the Matthew Shepard story and hate crime (quite relevant for today). I recently did it with a cast of 20 and each actor played 2 to 3 roles each.

Floyd Nash
    [Theatre teacher]
    Deerfield Beach High
    Deerfield Beach, FL

• 7.  RE: Plays of monologues

Posted 09-14-2017 07:39
    I took Spoon River Anthology and had the students pick characters and then write connecting materials that eventually became 
    the script they used for presentation. Got to put in a few notes about writing plays, proper format, etc.

--

REV. ED KOFFENBERGER
    Director of Spiritual Life

The Epiphany School of Global Studies
    2301 Trent Rd., New Bern, NC  28562
    p: (252) 638-0122 ext. 616
    f: (252) 288-5464

• 8.  RE: Plays of monologues

Posted 09-14-2017 09:17
    Spoon River Anthology or Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten (although that has scenes too) would be good ones to look into. 
    --
    Amy Crane
    Drama/Music/Speech
    Marquette Catholic High School
    Michigan City, IN