Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-04-2017 14:05
    Not 100%, but strongly considering Alice in Wonderland (or something similar) for our 2017 fall play. What adaptations/versions would you suggest?

Andrea

------------------------------
    Andrea Gustafson
    Morris IL

• 2.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-04-2017 15:28
    We did the version by Michele L. Vacca, available at Classics On Stage. It runs 70-80 minutes, has lots of room to play with cast size, and is very affordable. It was enjoyed by all. Pretty darn true to Carroll's book, too.

http://www.classicsonstage.com/scriptsalice.html

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-04-2017 21:18
    I love the Eva LeGallienne version. It's so close to the novels. Really captures the original. But it's long and not the easiest version to produce. You may need to be creative with staging and design elements depending on your resources. I've produced it though and it you can manage it, it's worth it. 

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 4.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-05-2017 06:15
    Several years ago we did the Alice Gerstenberg version following a recommendation from the director at Cedarville University. You can get a free download of the script on your Kindle, and it is in public domain for performance. Pretty good adaptation. We added a scene at the top of act two for the flowers.

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 5.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-05-2017 06:17
    Dorothy in Wonderland brings Dorothy and her friends from Oz, into Wonderland. Very fun.

• 6.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-05-2017 09:06
    I totally love the Manhattan Theatre Project's version. It was devised in the 1970s under the guidance of Andre Gregory (My Dinner with Andre fame). At the time, it spoke to the anti war and civil rights aspects going on in the world (but not overtly); since being in it myself in high school, I have directed it twice (and may again) both long form and a one act version. It affords cross gender/racial casting and really allows for creativity in terms of input from the actors playing the roles (eg one year my Madhatter was a brilliant pianist, as was my March Hare, so I had the tea party table become a grand piano and they played music during the scene).

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 7.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-05-2017 09:40
    I adapted one in "Book-It" style that's been produced by friends and some directors that heard about it from here. It preserves the narration as character dialogue, and it has a flexible cast depending on how you use doubling. Let me know if you want to see a preview. 

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 8.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-11-2017 15:49
    Yes, would love to see a preview.

Andrea

Andrea Gustafson
    Morris IL

Would love to see a preview.

• 9.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-12-2017 08:07
    Hi, My wife and I came across this British company that has a Through the Looking Glass that is very different. We did it with a group of middle schoolers, but my wife cut it down to an hour long. And I believe we were the first in the States to do it.  It has some crazy stuff and some new interesting music. Its also way cheaper. We also did their Peter Pan. Word of warning, if your school is really on top of stereotyping, which I hope most are, this is a struggle piece because the writer really stereotyped the song for the Indian characters. We did talk to them about this but no idea if it changed.  

IT&M | Through the Looking Glass
    Itmshows remove preview
    IT&M | Through the Looking Glass
    Piers Chater Robinson's Alice - Through the Looking Glass Musical - A Great Show for Professional and Amateur Theatre, Schools & Colleges to Perform
    View this on Itmshows >

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 10.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-12-2017 08:08