Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Addams Family torture chair

Posted 09-29-2018 08:42
    Hi guys! I'm struggling with figuring out how to make Gomez's torture chair for our upcoming musical, The Addams Family. If anyone has done the show before or has any ideas how to make one of these chairs, I'm welcome to any and all ideas! Thanks in advance! 
    -Cari Dill 
    SGCHS Theater Director 

• 2.  RE: Addams Family torture chair

Posted 09-30-2018 14:03
    Hi!

I have already offered this suggestion to another member recently. We painted a chair and used an ancestor with a axe in their hand next to the chair. When Gomez released a lever in the back of the chair, the ancestors ax was released into the middle of the chair. This was a great way to utilize the ancestors and more of the scenes. I used ancestors holding onto chain that was wrapped around Pugsley's arms and legs in the torture room scene as well. I will try to look for a picture and send it to you if you are interested. They look. I felt it was pointless to put too much effort into one prop that was being used in only one scene.

------------------------------
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 3.  RE: Addams Family torture chair

Posted 09-30-2018 14:52
    We made a wooden chair out of an old throne we had. We rigged a simple foot-operated "see-saw" pivot. At the end of the pivot, we screwed in a "stake" made out of pvc and a rubber cone-shaped tip. We drilled a hole in the seat, and when Gomez stepped on it, it went up through the floor. Make sure you attach the pipe using a hinge so when it goes up at that angle, it will be able to straighten itself out for the  pass through the hole. Hope this helps. I can send hand-drawn plans if needed, but don't expect much in the way of artistic endeavor.

Bruce Taws
    Mosley Drama

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 4.  RE: Addams Family torture chair

Posted 10-01-2018 06:45

Mine was simple from the actually structure side.  We doubled up 2x4s for the legs, framed out a square seat and back and did the lever pivot system mentioned above.  But we ran one wooden rod up the back of the chair to another pivot connected to a skull.  When the skull was pulled back, the spike stuck out through the bottom.  

The finials are just wooden fence post toppers that screw in.  The rest of the chair is scrap 3/4" lumber and 1/4: luann.  And the back where the rib pieces are is made from 3/4" foam.  I was trying to get some kind of depth.  

I bought a "bag of bones" from Amazon to decorate the chair.  

Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA