Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  teaching dance movement

Posted 07-24-2019 06:35
    Several months ago I saw a post about teaching some basic dance movements in a Drama 1 class.  I want to include this in my curriculum this year but cannot find the post now.  Does anyone have some lesson plans or ideas to share about how they have done this with an introductory drama class?
    Thanks,

------------------------------
    Janet Rhoads
    Drama Teacher
    Andale High School
    Andale KS

• 2.  RE: teaching dance movement

Posted 07-24-2019 10:47
    Are you talking about dance or movement? If you are not trained in dance I would not recommend trying to teach it in your class because you will unintentionally teach incorrect technique the students will have to unlearn later. If you do want to teach basic dance movement I would recommend seeing if the dance teacher on your campus can come in to help out. Perhaps you could switch classes and you could work on creating characters within the movement of whatever piece they are working on.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: teaching dance movement

Posted 07-26-2019 17:13
    Hi, Janet!
    The post you speak of may have been mine. Several years ago I developed a movement unit with a theatre professional friend of mine. It explores movement in a number of ways, and it's creative, fun, non-invasive, and definitely NOT dance. 

Email me directly, and I will discuss it in depth with you, if you like.

Cheers,
    Nancy Bernhard
    retired theatre teacher
    Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA