Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Into the Woods

Posted 08-23-2019 11:15
    Hoping to produce Into the Woods this year... but our our orchestra is not able to work with us this year... so I am hesitant. I will need to recruit former students and hire a few semi-professionals who are willing to do it for not a whole lot of money. Would love to hear from some of you who have done it. What do you think is the bare minimum of musicians I could get by with? Any advice would be appreciated. I really do not want to use tracks and would really like to avoid much synth as well... your thoughts?

Thanks,

Angelene

• 2.  RE: Into the Woods

Posted 08-24-2019 14:15
    Into the Woods Orchestration:
    Synthesizer, Percussion, Piano, Flute/piccolo, Clarinet, Bassoon, Trumpet in C, Viola 1 & 2, and Violin 1 & 2.  The Sondheim music is very difficult to play.  As a Music Director, I would say that it is one of the hardest scores to sing and play.  I would not suggest to reduce this instrumentation.  Another alternative if you cannot afford to pay 11 professionals (because of the difficulty of the music) is to use prerecorded sound tracks. 

Fun, complex show, Break a Leg!

------------------------------
    Corinne Walker
    Private voice teacher
    Musical theater director
    Mesa, Arizona
    corinnewalk4.wixsite.com/mesa

• 3.  RE: Into the Woods

Posted 08-25-2019 08:34
    I saw a recent production that used a very small combo...I believe four...and it worked fine. 💛

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Into the Woods

Posted 08-26-2019 11:25
    Hi,

Well that is a bit more encouraging... did you happen to notice what they used (deemed crucial).

Also, do you know if they use the Jr. version or the original? I do not want to have to put "Jr." on the program so I was going to buy the rights for the original... but now I am worried we will not be able to transpose as easily as I thought.

Angelene

• 5.  RE: Into the Woods

Posted 08-26-2019 14:51
    If you purchase the rights to a show, you have to legally put the correct title and other information provided by the publisher.  Buying the rights to the whole show and only performing Act One, which I believe it the Broadway Jr edition, it not legal.  Sorry
    FYI  I love the Jr version because everyone doesn't die!

Corinne Walker 480.310.7206
    Private voice teacher
    Musical theater director
    CorinneWalk4@gmail.com
    Mesa, Arizona
    https://www.voicelessonswithcorinne.com/

• 6.  RE: Into the Woods

Posted 08-25-2019 10:19
    We did it successfully with a pianist and a percussionist. It is a very difficult score, and extremely challenging for most student musicians. 

• 7.  RE: Into the Woods

Posted 08-26-2019 11:04
    Thank you for answering!! although I was afraid of this very answer... wondering if anyone out there has gotten by with less than 11 musicians? I really do not want to use tracks but hiring 11 professionals would break us. Ugh.... I hate to disappoint the kids as our Band Director was all in until a few weeks ago... so we had already announced the show choice :(

Thanks again, 

Angelene

• 8.  RE: Into the Woods

Posted 08-26-2019 06:48
    You might try to contact the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival. They are currently performing a production of Into the Woods with a very small combo...I think 4. They might be able to provide an orchestration, or the music director might be willing to advise you. 

Ron Sopyla
    Teaching artist
    \Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival

Ron Sopyla
    Beacon NY