Open Forum

View Only

musical theatre course

• 1.  musical theatre course

Posted 04-06-2018 09:42

Hello Everyone-I am pursuing the possibility of offering a musical theatre elective course and am in the proposal writing phase.  Does anyone who teaches a similar course have material-course outline, standards, etc. that they'd be willing to share?  Would love to have material from other school districts to show 'the powers that be' .  Thanks!

Ron Parker, Theatre Educator

Appleton North High School

www.appletonnorththeatre.org

• 2.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-06-2018 09:52
    I started one at my school this year. I'd be happy to send you my class syllabus, if you'd like. It doesn't have standards or anything on it, but it could be used as a spring board. Just let me know. (:

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-07-2018 05:50
    Heather, 

Would you be willing to share with me, as well? I'd really appreciate it!

Sincerely, 

Taylor
    hornet@esj.org

Taylor Horne
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL

• 4.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-09-2018 08:53
    Heather, I am interested as well. I appreciate anything you can share!

Maria Palassis
    Drama Club & Thespian Society Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 5.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-19-2018 08:48
    I would love to get a copy of what you have!  gamecockjen@yahoo.com

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 6.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-20-2018 08:04
    If you're still sharing, meggers@jocoed.net is my email.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Michael Eggers
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Mountain City TN

• 7.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-24-2018 08:19
    Sorry for coming onboard late, but would you share with me as well? I'm in the same boat, about to write this type of course. 

Thanks!
    Ben

Ben Cossitor
    Drama Director
    Altoona Area High School
    Altoona, PA

• 8.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-24-2018 08:19
    oops, sorry email is bwc200@gmail.com

Ben Cossitor
    Drama Director
    Altoona Area High School
    Altoona, PA

• 9.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-07-2018 03:14
    That would be awesome! I'll take whatever you have! My email is parkerronaldc@aasd.k12.wi.us . Thank you so much!!

• 10.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-08-2018 11:37
    Hello. I would love to view your musical theatre curriculum as well. Thanks for your willingness to share. My email is pmaranian@nmusd.us.

Sent from my iPad

• 11.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-08-2018 16:10
    Me too, possibly? miriam.climenhaga@usd480.net

Miriam Climenhaga
    Liberal KS

• 12.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-09-2018 08:51
    I am also interested if anyone is willing to share!!

--
    Maria Madonis Palassis
    Oak Hills High School
    Director of Orchestras
    Director of Thespian Troupe 1256 Productions
    Drama Club Advisor
    Vocal Music Teacher: UnCommon Time,
    Treble Choir
    Musical Theatre Ensemble
    Piano Teacher
    Key Club Advisor

• 13.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-10-2018 16:32
    And I, too.
    Thank you so much!

send to:
    jheyer999@gmail.com

Nancy Bernhard (ret.)
    Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA

• 14.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-21-2018 10:01
    I taught this class last year as a one semester course. It was HUGELY successful, and as we are a new school, it gave me students who then had musical theatre experience going into our first musical the following year (this year). I intend to teach it every other spring, since we are doing a full production opposite years. The biggest takeaway I had was to do it as a revue; we had a few random solos that students were superb with, then we had 4 shows we showcased with 2-4 songs from each. The final show was almost 2 hours long (in future I'll aim for 90 minutes and fewer costumes haha). I need to go back to my old hard drive for materials, but would be happy to share in the next week. Ww also don't have a band or orchestra, and if this is a challenge you're concerned about, I can share my online resources for surmounting that obstacle as well. My email is amanda.flageolle@galsdenver.org, feel free to shoot me an email with anything I can send you!

---------------------------------
    Amanda Flageolle
    Theatre and Music Director
    Girls Athletic Leadership School
    Denver CO
    ---------------------------------

• 15.  RE: musical theatre course

Posted 04-23-2018 11:11
    I teach a section of Musical Theater every other spring. We are in trimesters, so each class is 13 weeks long. All of my advanced classes are focused on learning technique and style, not necessarily creating an audience ready performance. Of course we work on producing performance pieces, but they are performed only for each other in class. We don't do an after school performance of class work. 

My musical theater class has the following units:
    • Musical Theater History - I show the PBS special, Broadway, The American Musical. It's 6 one hour episodes. We do one episode every Monday for 6 weeks, so this unit overlaps others.
    • Choreography - I spend a few days teaching basic musical theater steps (step touch, jazz squares, step-ball-change, etc.) without combinations. Then I have a student (who has lots of years of dance experience) choreograph a group number, sometimes we split into two groups, depending on the class size/experience levels. 
    • Large Group numbers - this project focuses on staging with a large group, and uses minimal choreography. I also have them perform with a cast recording track because the focus is on movement, not singing.  
    • Small Group numbers - this project is more character based. We work on developing character, and adding script analysis to the lyrics. They have the option of singing with a track or an accompaniment 
    • Solo/Duet - This is usually their exam project (however, sometimes I swap this with the small group number), and must be done with an accompaniment. I don't require them to do solos however, because I typically have a good number of actors who aren't strong singers. The focus is on script analysis and treating the song the same way they would treat a monologue, and learning how to use the music to inform their emotional and character desicions. 

Kaelynn Earnest
    Teacher
    Rockford Public Schools
    Grand Rapids MI