Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Female heavy class

Posted 10-02-2017 09:23
    Hi, All,

I am looking for a straight full length play with 2-4 men and 10-20 female roles for my advanced class.  This is my final production of the year so I am looking for something less tech heavy.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Heathe Stecklein
    Director and Educator of Theatre Arts
    10th Grade Literacy
    Vista PEAK Preparatory 
    (303) 340 0121 x 26246

The Importance of Being Earnest Oct 26, 27, & 28 @ 7pm

Original One Act Festival
    Dec 1 @ 7pm

Into the Woods
    March 1-3 @ 7pm, and 2pm on March 3

Spring Play TBD May 3 & 4 @ 7pm

"I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being." -Oscar Wilde

• 2.  RE: Female heavy class

Posted 10-02-2017 11:17

"Faith County" by Mark Landon Smith only has 3 males and 6 females.  

I produced "A Midsummer Night's Dream"  last year with only 6 males.  I made some roles females, and I cast some females as males.

------------------------------
    Graci Johnson
    Theatre Director
    Bentonville West High School
    Centerton, AR

• 3.  RE: Female heavy class

Posted 10-03-2017 14:38
    I had a very female weighted class in 2010, and we tackled Euripides Medea.  It was one of the most interesting and meaningful experiences I have ever had with a cast.

We did Ian Johnston's translation, which I found online.  He gave us permission to use it without charge, as well as to make deletions and changes as we felt necessary.  (We changed a very few words to even out the rhythm in some choral passages.)

I double cast the main parts and split the Messenger into two parts.  We were able to perform it for our sophomore English classes without charge, due to Ian Johnston's generosity.  Each cast of main characters had 4 performances.  The chorus played every performance.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Audiences were incredibly moved.  

I'm going to attach a few pictures.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 4.  RE: Female heavy class

Posted 10-04-2017 07:39
    I think I had a breakdown like that for The Good Fight, and you could probably pull off something like Arabian Nights (RSC version) or Metamorphoses (Zimmerman) with some cross-gender casting, which is what we did.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Female heavy class

Posted 10-04-2017 07:50
    I highly recommend Letters to Sala by Arlene Hutton. We did it last spring, with a  cast of 4 men and 13 women, and it was one of the most challenging, moving, effective productions we've done in many years. I had the full cast onstage during most of the show. (That's not the way it's written but it worked well for us. I've attached a few pictures.) Don't hesitate to reach out to the playwright. She's very responsive and eager to help in any way that she can.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA