Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Addams Family Casting

Posted 11-04-2021 07:25

Hi All-I teach at a very small high school (first year here) and just announced Addams Family as our spring musical. Come to find out it conflicts with the popular basketball season and I'll be losing some kiddos who I had hoped would audition. Unfortunately, there is now way to change my schedule given all the other events of the year-this is the best timing. Has anyone done this show where actors played more than one character? Can it be done without the ancestors or with other characters playing the ancestors? Other creative solutions out there in case I don't get enough kiddos auditioning? 

------------------------------
    Amy Cole-Farrell
    Kehillah Jewish High School
    CA

• 2.  RE: Addams Family Casting

Posted 11-05-2021 10:11
    Do you have any feeder schools? We produced the show at my 900-student school (900 students but very low interest in the performing arts--most of my theatre kids double as band kids) and were able to bring some kids in from our feeder middle school (mostly dance students) to round out the Ancestors as well as Young Wednesday. Doubling roles would be tricky, I think -- there are moments when all the Addamses, living and otherwise, are on stage at the same time. If you're a private school with no feeders -- perhaps there'd be interest in helping out from the community you serve? 

Break a leg! It's such a good show. It was a huge hit for us, and great fun to direct -- at least, that's how I remember it!

Stephen Tilson
    North Murray High School
    GA

• 3.  RE: Addams Family Casting

Posted 11-05-2021 10:38
    That is an interesting suggestion, Stephen! We do have a feeder school that is (technically) walking distance from ours. I am certain this has never been done before, but it would for sure be worth exploring. Thanks!

Amy Cole-Farrell
    Kehillah Jewish High School
    CA