Open Forum

View Only

Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

• 1.  Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-12-2017 10:14
    Hello, 
    I am a theater director at a small high school. I usually have about 20 girls that show up to auditions, but only between 2-5 males. I am looking for a full-length play for this spring that I could do with a mostly female cast. I am having a lot of trouble finding something that doesn't have many male roles but can accommodate a lot of female roles. I appreciate any suggestions you may have!!

------------------------------
    Anne Elisa Brown
    Director of the MHS Drama Department
    Madison Central School District
    Madison SD

• 2.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-12-2017 13:06
    Murder with grace has 5 female and 5 male.

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 3.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-13-2017 06:37
    This is me every year. Some years I am lucky enough to have about 5 boys but never more than that. I generally look for shows that have a flexible cast or if they have more males than I have, I look for flexible characters or read the scripts to see if it would make sense for the males to be female characters (plus I've even had girls play the part of boys). All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum has a large, very flexible cast and you can do as few or as many of the vignettes as you like and you can do it as a musical or not. Last spring we did Aladdin (non-musical version) and the guards as well as the street beggar were played by girls. The School Spirit has a heavy girl cast (I think I did it with three boys). Anne of Green Gables is girl heavy as is Little Women. In fact I believe one year I had no males and I found a script of Little Women that was all females. A very fun play with a lot of girls (or characters that can be girls) is Under the Big Top by Martin Follose- I think I had the clowns played by girls even though it says male, and a couple of other characters were played by girls such as the magician and the lion tamer.

Rachel Cunningham
    Elwood IN

• 4.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-14-2017 10:46
    I did Peace of my Heart with a large cast instead of the 6 women it calls for. . .and enough men/extra women that anyone who died was carried off rather than walked off.  Women in War also has a large cast of women.  Both of these are excellent history pieces as well.  Shakespeare comedies can be done with more women than men.  Plays like Story Theatre, Peter Pan, Conference of the Birds can also be done with mostly women.  The female version of Odd Couple is fun, but it only has 6  women if I remember correctly.  And then there is always The Women and Twelve Angry Jurors!

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 5.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-13-2017 06:54
    Try The Miracle Worker.i did it with only two males by changing the gender of a few characters.

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-13-2017 09:43
    Did you have to ask for special permission to change the gender of the roles? I am starting a show next week and we didn't have enough boys, so I would like to change the gender of two of the roles but am waiting to hear back from the publishing company.

Anne Elisa Brown
    Director of the MHS Drama Department
    Madison Central School District
    Madison SD

• 7.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-13-2017 09:56
    If the option for flexible casting is not clearly stated in the script then you really do have to secure permission.  The copyright statements usually indicate in some way that you cannot change anything without permission.  

The current play we are working on specifically says  - "Do NOT alter the text of the Play, change a character's gender, delete any dialogue, cut any music or alter objectionable language, unless explicitly authorized by Playscripts"

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 8.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-13-2017 08:36
    Honestly, whenever I have a predominantly-female high school group, I tend to reach for the classics. It might be a cop-out -- but it gives them a good opportunity to stretch their skills, and the audience doesn't expect them to be as grounded in reality as contemporary works.

Most of the Greeks, the French classics (Corneille, Molière, Racine), some of the Restoration comedies, most Shakespeare (an all- or mostly-female Coriolanus would give me life) . . . Even Brecht's Caucasian Chalk Circle or Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead . . . If the language is heightened or the playwright dabbles in absurdity, audiences tend not to care if the casting is gender-ambiguous or gender-bent.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 9.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-13-2017 10:12
    ​This is my dilemma every year. Again, I'll suggest The Good Fight, or Triangle, which have a lot of women and only a few men. Or storytelling-type shows that allow for flexible casting, such as Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses or Dominic Cooke's Arabian Nights. There are also several women-heavy scripts published by Nick Hern Books which I just discovered and plan to read for next year.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 10.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-14-2017 15:55
    Girls of the Garden Club.  I cast two males and 25 women.

Rob Albrecht
    Aurora OH

• 11.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-14-2017 17:42
    My students and I had a ball with Ferber and Kaufman's Stage Door - 21 females, 11 males.  Before you flinch at the number of males, only one of those roles is a true lead; the others are all so small and so spread out in appearance that I doubled and even tripled boys in those parts, so I used far fewer than 11 boys.  The guys loved the challenge of differentiating their various characters, and it gave each of them about as much stage time as the girls had.  Even the cameo parts are colorful, and just about every character has a real story arc to follow, so that no one is just "living scenery."  Rights are from Dramatists Play Service.

I'll also put in yet another word here for Stephen Gregg's science-fiction romantic comedy Crush - 10-12 females, 4-5 males, 2-10 of either gender.  I cast almost all of the "either gender" roles with girls.  My students really bought into this one and enjoyed it.  It can also be a teaching play, as one of its plotlines revolves around a high-school production of Our Town, giving you a chance to familiarize kids with a classic if they don't know it already.  And it's cheap to stage, because it models its presentation on Our Town, too - nothing but tables, chairs, ladders, etc. for scenery, with the audience imagining the rest!  Rights are from Dramatic Publishing.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 12.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-16-2017 12:20
    I concur with Stage Door. We did it two years ago and the girls loved it. We are an all-girls high school, so have similar issues. I cast the boys we had at auditions and then used some of the girls to play boy characters, which went well. 

Best of luck!

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 13.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-17-2017 07:56

​You could do almost any fairy tale/kids show situation and make animal/fantastical parts girls. Fabulous Fable Factory?  I adore Law and Order - Fairy Tale Unit.

I have also had this problem and have even gone searching for boys in my English classes!

My favorite show, which I have done more that once, is Up the Down Staircase.  You could make all of the teachers girls, including the principal.  You would need one male teacher (Paul) and a Joe Ferrone - although I suppose Joe could also be female... now that I think about it!  It's a large cast and has a great message. 

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 14.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 10-17-2017 15:43
    I've had experience with some mid-sized casts featuring mostly female roles -- not sure you could get away with 20 females but these are still great shows a number of local all-female high schools have done lately with some success:

Radium Girls
    Scenes and Revelations
    A Piece of My Heart (as someone else already suggested)
    The Odd Couple Female Version

Hope that helps!

~Laura

Laura Berkemeier
    Thomas More College
    Erlanger KY

• 15.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 11-18-2017 18:06
    LONG JOAN SILVER?
    A new version of Treasure island, where ALL the pirates are women. Available from YouthPLAYS.
    http://www.arthurjolly.com/longjoansilver.php

Arthur M. Jolly
    Playwright
    Houston TX

• 16.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 11-21-2017 11:01
    Hello Everyone,

What I need is a one act for Middle School. I have two boys and 20 girls. Our school district is very conservative.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Kathleen Tate
    Theatre Director
    Grapevine Colleyville ISD
    Grapevine TX

• 17.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 11-22-2017 11:20
    Hello,
    I have enjoyed the following shows and they are very flexible, gender wise.
    1. The Actor Games
    2. The American Revolution in 40 minutes or Less
    3. Hoodie
    4. Totally Red
    5. Wiley and the Hairy Man
    6. James and the Giant Peach (play not musical)
    7. Dorothy meets Alice, the Wizard of Wonderland

I hope this helps!

---------------------------------
    Natalie Pass

Cumming GA
    ---------------------------------

• 18.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 11-22-2017 14:14
    Pride and Prejudice or Jane Erye come to mind. You could also look at a classical piece and adjust it; just make sure it's one in public domain

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 19.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 04-16-2018 11:29
    Has anyone run across any new plays to add to this list? I'd love to produce one large-cast play next year rather than two medium-sized ones if at all possible. I prefer a drama to a comedy, and I don't really want one about high school life unless it's quite thought-provoking and well-written. I need a cast size of about 25 with either primarily women, or roles that are gender flexible. I also prefer material that is less than 20 years old, and in a perfect world, written by a woman. I'd like it to have a female lead (or leads) and be a woman's story. 

I know, picky much? :-) But I feel like lots of us are often looking for the same type of show and having a hard time finding it.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 20.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 04-27-2018 08:47
    Have you looked at any of Mary Zimmerman's plays?   Big Fan here.  Large cast, incredible opportunities for theatricality.  Lots of roles for women and roles that can be played by either gender.  ARABIAN NIGHTS, SECRET IN THE WINGS,  THE WHITE SNAKE, ARGONAUTIKA, MIRROR OF THE INVISIBLE WORLD, and of course, METAMORPHOSIS.  We've also done her ODYSSEY and JOURNEY TO THE WEST but those are a bit more male heavy.

Ron Parker, Theatre Educator
    Appleton North High School
    Renaissance School for the Arts
    Appleton WI

• 21.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 04-23-2018 09:36

Teaching Drama for 31 years this has always been the case.  

Some wonderful Dramas: Women on Fire by Irene O'Garden, She Kills Monsters by Qui Nguyen.   A comic gem is The Women by Clare Booth Luce. And, of course, The Children's Hour. 

Luigi Jannuzzi Educator & Playwright
    All The King's Women
    Exhibit This! The Museum Comedies
    www.LuigiJannuzzi.com

• 22.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 04-26-2018 13:49
    You should read "Our Miss Brooks". Really charming old 20s play ABOUT the problem of a teacher trying to put on a play with very few boys. I've wanted to do it, but haven't yet because I have too many boys (still more girls, though) and I feel bad about leaving them out. There are about a dozen female and just a few male parts.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 23.  RE: Large Ensemble Plays (Mostly Female)

Posted 04-27-2018 11:10
    Here are some great articles on this very subject:

Ladies Choice! Large Cast Suggestions for Female Heavy Plays (Part 1)
    PerformerStuff More Good Stuff remove <g class="gr_ gr_59 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="59" data-gr-id="59">preview</g>
    Ladies Choice! Large Cast Suggestions for Female Heavy Plays (Part 1)
    Written by Tiffany Wilkie October 31, <g class="gr_ gr_62 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="62" data-gr-id="62">2017</g> Sometimes the number of girls and women significantly outweighs the number of boys and men in a theatre department. That's when it's time to start looking for female-heavy plays. Check out our list below, and be sure to come back for Part 2!
    View this on PerformerStuff More Good Stuff >

David Lee
    Orlando FL