Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  episodes of films/TV shows to prep for The Real Inspector Hound

Posted 11-18-2018 06:28
    We are doing a night of murder mystery one-acts this year, Trifles by Susan Glaspell and The Real Inspector Hound by Tom Stoppard. I'm getting really worried about Inspector Hound b/c some of my students (playing Simon, Cynthia, Felicity, and Drudge) don't seem to "get" the genre - a "meta" British comedy - where you know that the audience knows that you know that they know that you know ... you know? They're too "floppy," too American, too realistic. They're not getting the comic timing, buoyancy, and brio of this genre. I'm running out of ideas for how to help them ... The actors playing Hound, Birdboot, and Moon have grown up watching Inspector Bean, Charlie Chaplin, Faulty Towers with their parents, but the others have no idea what we're talking about. And I've never directed anything like this before so I feel I'm at a bit of a loss myself. 

Can you think of ways I can help the actors get into the genre better? Are there episodes or shows they could watch to help them understand it and get it into their bodies and acting styles? We've watched some from the shows I mentioned, but I don't know if they're helping. Especially Drudge. I really wish I could fire that actor ....

Thanks for any suggestions.

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: episodes of films/TV shows to prep for The Real Inspector Hound

Posted 11-19-2018 11:54
    I am a huge proponent of "speed runs" to tighten up flaccid comedy - and the kids love them. Full blocking and characterization - done as fast as the human body can move and speak.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

• 3.  RE: episodes of films/TV shows to prep for The Real Inspector Hound

Posted 11-20-2018 01:44
    This perhaps does not break the fourth wall as much as you could in Inspector Hound, but it still has that British mystery panache that may be fun in terms of a style reference for your students: The Play that Goes Wrong performing at The Royal Variety Performance 2015
    YouTube remove preview
    The Play that Goes Wrong performing at The Royal Variety Performance 2015
    Uploaded by MYSTiiC KiiNG on 2015-12-10.
    View this on YouTube >

I hope it's helpful.

Cheers!

Colleen Mylott
    Lafayette CO

• 4.  RE: episodes of films/TV shows to prep for The Real Inspector Hound

Posted 11-20-2018 22:29
    Maybe Are You Being Served? such a classic series and good with the style I think you are going for.  I bet they know Spongebob - kind of the same idea in terms of energy and silliness.  Maybe try having them do it like a cartoon complete with poses, sharp looks, never walking but dashing when they have to move to a new place, being very loud, and each line coming immediately after the previous one. It may be waaaay too much but one can always pull back (or maybe it will take it where it needs to be).  Plus Spongbob - or something simillar - is probably more accessable or easier for them to enact.  Just chant "Who live in a pineapple under the sea" and wait for their response.  Then tell them to do the whole show like that ;)
    Just a thought :)

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO