Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lower School theatre

Posted 03-13-2018 11:11
    I am the new Director of Theatre at a K-12 Independent private school. The school has a pretty active middle and upper school program but the Head of Lower School wants to begin implementing a program for the Lower School.  I think that this is a great idea but feel that their needs to be a progressive component to the entire K-12 experience.  Does anyon e have ideas of scheduling and implementing Theatre throughout the K-12 curriculum?

d

--
    David Valdes
    Middle & Upper School Theatre Teacher

UNIVERSITY LAKE SCHOOL
    4024 Nagawicka Road
    PO Box 290, Hartland, WI  53029
    ph: 262.367.6011 x1322   fax: 262.367.3146

• 2.  RE: Lower School theatre

Posted 03-14-2018 10:21
    I direct the Musical at a PreK-8 school. We progress the kids in this way:
    -Talent Show open to PreK-8 (1st year 4-8th to get it established)
    -Cabaret called Night of Musical Show Tunes open to 3-8th
    -5 Acting/Dance/Movement Classes In Oct open to 5th-8th (1st one each year open to new members only)
    -when we had a Forensics Team it was open to 4-8th (a year earlier it was 5-8th & I started it at 6-8th), Feb competition for 6-8th girls, May competition for all)
    -30 min Ensemble Tournament Play open to 7-8th- By invitation only-had to attend 2 acting classes that year to be considered (6th Crew-one boy, one girl-act As understudies for all)
    -Drama Games Day open to 1-8th, 6 stations of Drama games worked by those who attended Acting Classes, last station skit prep then performed most attended were 1-4th
    -Musical Auditions open to 4-8th (PreK-3rd are invited to join for 4 rehearsals March-May (ours Little Ones are coming next week!) then for last 2 weeks called Music on Stage & Dress/Tech. The first 4 they come only for first hour & 15 min & sit around alot watching to see where they will come in then rehearse their dance in Act 1. I bring them in once in each Act. Always have a Kick line on floor in front of stage while Cast has their kick line.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Lower School theatre

Posted 03-14-2018 13:11
    Ugh! I left out International Thespian Society (Jr). We only allowed 7-8th Grade to be inducted & hold officer positions but allowed 1 Rep from 4-8th to be a non-voting members & attend meetings

Sent from my iPhone