Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  "Intro to Theatre" and "Stagecraft" Curricula?

Posted 05-14-2019 08:59
    Hi everyone,

We're beginning to push for stronger and bigger curricular offerings at our school. We currently only offer one section of a semester-long Theatre Arts class. I'd like to rebuild it as an "Intro to Theatre" class before branching off into different specialized classes. Some questions:

1.) Could any of you share your entry-level Theatre curriculum? Pacing guides, curriculum maps, anything would help. I just need some inspiration for the course.
    2.) If you have a specific "tech" class available, could you share the curriculum for that, too? My background is all in acting and directing; tech theatre is my weak point that I want to bolster.
    3.) As a side question to #2, are there any texts that you would recommend that I could begin to study to shore up my lack of expertise in tech theatre?
    4.) What do you do to increase (or maintain) enrollment in theatre classes. Currently, all of our ideal kids to get started are in a thousand music classes. We have prolific music and art class offerings -- I'd like to have a balance of theatre classes available, too.

Thank you in advance!
    Please send anything to morrisondb@vvsd.org.​

------------------------------
    David Morrison
    English Teacher
    Bolingbrook IL

• 2.  RE: "Intro to Theatre" and "Stagecraft" Curricula?

Posted 05-14-2019 09:42
    For books, check out Technical Theater for Nontechnical People by Drew Campbell, and Illustrated Theater Production Guide by John Holloway.  Both cover all aspects of tech, and Tech for Non Tech goes into a design and stage management as well.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance