Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Projections

Posted 11-22-2017 19:24
    Because projections are the wave of the future (and I am totally riding that wave, tyvm), I have been finding ways to include them in my productions since starting at my current job last year. I'm up to three projectors (for "Rent,") which were run off my iPad, my daughter's MacBook, and our effects crew chief. The show went great and our crew made a huge splash.

Unfortunately, my iPad has not been the same since. My lovelies seem to have somehow bent my keyboard/case to the point where it is no longer usable. I noticed it getting droopier and droopier, but it wasn't until today that I finally diagnosed the problem. 

I need to request that our school/Performing Arts Boosters buy something JUST for performing arts use. I need to be able to run up to 3 projectors, so multiple devices are likely necessary. 

How cheap can I go on this? Suggestions are really welcome.

• 2.  RE: Projections

Posted 11-27-2017 16:24
    I have never used projections, but I am very interested in this technology. Where do you put your projectors? How far away do they need to be to fill the width of the stage? We have both a scrim and a cyc at our local performing arts center where we perform. The stage is 40 feet wide and 30 feet deep. Why do you use multiple projecotrs? I would love to hear how you do this.

------------------------------
    Jody Hanna
    Newport OR

• 3.  RE: Projections

Posted 11-29-2017 16:04
    I have questions about using projection for scenic design also.  We would like to use this for our upcoming production of Spamalot.  Can anyone offer tips and advice.  I have no clue!

Nicole Green
    McAlester OK

• 4.  RE: Projections

Posted 11-30-2017 09:48
    You might want to check out TheatreAve. It's a great resource for getting started with projections. Mitch is super friendly and I'm sure would answer any questions.
    Here's one of their guides:
    https://www.theatreave.com/getting-started-with-projections/

Jason Pizzarello
    Playwright/Co-Founder Stage Partners
    New York, NY

• 5.  RE: Projections

Posted 11-30-2017 15:30
    Thanks Jason! Yes, Nicole, feel free to shoot me an email and I'm happy to help with any questions you have about getting started with projections. The article Jason posted is a great start too!

Let me know:)

Cheers!
    Mitch

Mitch Stark
    Founding Creative Director
    TheatreAve.com
    mitch@freedomhouseproductions.com

• 6.  RE: Projections

Posted 12-01-2017 11:55
    Jodi,

Congratulations on making the transition to projections. I'm glad that you have your projectors already setup, which is arguably the hardest part. There are many different forms of playback that will work for you. 

- ProPresenter: PC/Mac playback that works with multiple projectors all from one computer. Very stable software, most popular for churches. 

- QLab: Mac only. Used all over the world in live performances! You can also control your sound with this software. Easy to use once you spend some time getting familiar with the program, because it does have a learning curve at first. Works with multiple projectors and basic mapping. 

- ImageCue: No computer required! DMX controlled device that connects to your lighting console. Import your videos and images via USB to the device. The most stable option, because it does not rely on a computer to process the graphics. You can cue the projections together with your stage lighting. Very cool new technology. 

The above options work best for high schools, and are all $399-995 in price. Higher end systems exist, and are much more expensive. These include Watchout, PandorasBox, among others. These are professional options that are great tools to use for educating students, but is much much more difficult than the three playback controllers listed above. 

Quentin Sanford
    President
    Broadway Media Distribution (BMD)
    1-800-377-0343
    BroadwayMediaDistribution.com

• 7.  RE: Projections

Posted 12-03-2017 12:02
    Jason and stage partners rock!  Go check out their website if you are looking for some produce-able fun shows! 

Also, Thanks, stage partners/"theatreave.com" for that article <g class="gr_ gr_211 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="211" data-gr-id="211">re:</g> projections.  Can u put a link here, I thought it was a great piece for people wanting to get started on <g class="gr_ gr_403 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="403" data-gr-id="403">a HS</g> budget!!!  Short enough to read and good enough to learn something from it!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 8.  RE: Projections

Posted 12-03-2017 12:03
    sorry, the link is already on there...  I need a nap

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]