Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Storytelling unit for high school

Posted 11-19-2019 12:25
    Hi all, 

I've got an upcoming storytelling unit in a high school Intro To Theatre class. I've taught storytelling before at all grade levels, and I'm just looking for some other ideas. I already have several of The Moth resources. I'd like this unit to build around family stories for the winter holidays and I plan to introduce the major holidays of the winter season. Most of my students cultural tradition will be Christmas. I think I want them to create their own story from a cultural tradition they are most familiar with. Anyway, I'm rambling a bit, but I appreciate anything you can share that might help me as I'm structuring this. 

Thanks! Jane 

------------------------------
    Jane Dewey
    Director of Arts Education
    Lexington KY

• 2.  RE: Storytelling unit for high school

Posted 11-19-2019 12:40
    What about having them research winter/holiday legends and stories from their families and/or from your region/state?  It would be a great opportunity to interact with family members and incorporate personal/family stories with folk tales and traditions.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: Storytelling unit for high school

Posted 11-22-2019 18:46
    Check out ideas like Stoop Storytelling. Our local NPR station here in Baltimore also has “Out of the Blocks” featuring a neighborhood block in the city. There’s also the “Mortified” series.
    Obviously all would have to be adapted for your students - you know their interests and capabilities best! (Thanks for the idea BTW, I’m putting this one in my pocket!)

---------------------------------
    Kelly Cardall
    Theatre Arts
    Health and PE Chair
    Mount de Sales Academy
    Baltimore, MD
    ---------------------------------