Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student learning targets..

Posted 03-29-2018 11:33

I have a question for you....
    A few years ago, our district moved from writing "objectives"
    to writing Student Learning Targets. It was explained  to us that the SLT's were to state what the students were LEARNING and not what they are DOING.  I have been using the phrase "The Student will learn...." to help make this clearer. My admin. wants me to use the Depth of Knowledge chart and  I am having difficulty with this because much we do is DOING. Any suggestions on how to make this easier/clearer?? 

--
    Erika Trahan
    Kaplan High School
    Speech and Theatre

• 2.  RE: Student learning targets..

Posted 03-29-2018 12:19
    You might trying marrying the 2 ideas into one statement. Some of mine are phrased:

"Students will understand the use of design elements and will be able to create original designs for the stage" - for my stagecraft class
    "Students will understand the basic use of Uta Hagen technique and will apply it in scene study and monologues" - beginning theatre

I italicized the DOK language in each one to make it easier.

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Student learning targets..

Posted 03-30-2018 02:09
    Oh yes - we have been through this too ;)

Luckily everything we do hits that chart and even though the students are "doing" things they are learning all sorts of things that admin love (problem solving, collaboration, critical thinking, etc.).  It really all just semantics. What we do hits every level of the chart multiple times...but it's often too messy a process for admin to recognize so we have to phrase things specifically so they see why an exercise that seems like a game is actually teaching risk taking, creativity, collaboration, etc.) 

Maybe something like this?

In rehearsals for a scene the students learn how to recall the given circumstances and infer how the character would act based on the conclusions they have made combined with the critiques given from peers/the teacher to create a performance that synthesizes everything they have collected in order to display something that is historically, sociologically, and psychologically accurate.
    Bolded words are taken from all four areas of the chart.

Not sure if that helps - but I agree with Shira that it's just plugging in the words they want in an explanation of what we are already do!!!

Best wishes!

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO

• 4.  RE: Student learning targets..

Posted 03-30-2018 10:04
    I use things like "Students will demonstrate understanding of appropriate stage volume through breath control exercises," so I have both what they are learning and what they are doing.

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org

• 5.  RE: Student learning targets..

Posted 04-04-2018 09:57
    Go straight to the National Core Arts Standards. Use them almost word for word, picking the one that most adheres to to your lesson of course, and adding "the learner will be able to". 

Works for us.

Lucas Harms
    Luling LA