Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Crazy For You Questions

Posted 01-03-2020 08:07
    Hey all - we are doing Crazy For You this spring. The show is all cast and most of the costumes under control - but  I have a few questions.

1. If you have done this show, how did you handle (tame down) the song "Naughty Baby"?  Both of my music directors are very religious and are concerned about the innuendo.  I don't want to have to ask to cut it - just wondering if anyone has staging ideas or tips to tone it down.

2. Anyone out here have the metal trays (or know where we can rent them?)  We are tapping in the show and have have an excellent choreographer and some great dancers - so I want to be able to include that in "I've Got Rhythm."  

Thanks so much for any thoughts/tips!!

------------------------------
    Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 2.  RE: Crazy For You Questions

Posted 01-04-2020 10:17

We got metal trays from the party store. They were cheap and easily replaced. 

Christine Causer
    Teacher/Production Manager
    BURLINGTON NJ

• 3.  RE: Crazy For You Questions

Posted 01-04-2020 18:08
    1. Cut the line "I was top of my class...all of the boys were underneath."  Then just stage it so that she's teasing and abusing the boys....they try to win her attention, she pushes them and walks away...they dust themselves off and try again...repeat...repeat...repeat :) So the song is that they like her toughness and aggressiveness...they have a crush on her... she enjoys their attention and the fact that she's in control... but it's never actually about sex... the "naughty" is that she's a mean-girl.  At least, that's how it should play when you stage it that way :)

Brett Buffum
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring Hill KS

• 4.  RE: Crazy For You Questions

Posted 01-06-2020 12:06
    Hi Toni,

So glad you're producing Crazy For You®! Hope your rehearsal process is going well.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone: you may not cut or alter the dialogue or content of any licensed show without express permission from the authors. If you would like to make a change to the script, please contact your licensing coordinator. Keep in mind that the answer may be no. Of course, staging is at the discretion of the director, so feel free to stage a number in a manner best suited to your audience.

As for "Naughty Baby," there are a few solutions: some directors have found that a comical approach reduces the potentially suggestive lyrics; Irene tries to be sultry, but actually trips, stumbles, etc., revealing some cracks in her confident exterior. With G-rated choreography, Lank is "charmed" rather than "seduced," and the number becomes goofily romantic rather than sexy.

Brett's suggestion is also a great one: Irene can be strong and confident; the number and the choreography demonstrate her strength in a completely non-sexual way. She's a steamroller, knocking down any obstacle in her way. This way, Lank is drawn to her power and not her body.

Hope this helps-- Break a leg!

Jim Colleran
    Concord Theatricals
    New York, NY
    www.concordtheatricals.com